Jehovas Witnesses...?

Why don't you celebrate Christmas or any other holidays? Just curious... & why would it be wrong to celebrate the day of your childs birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness. One reason for not celebrating Christmas would be due to pagan roots that were introduced into the holiday. They also do not believe that Jesus was actually born at this time of year. One reason because in the account in the bible there were shepherds in the field attending sheep and that would not happen during the winter months, I know there are others but I have to admit to forgetting them. Also they find that there was no instruction given to celebrate Jesus birthday only to have a remembrance of his death and sacrifice, which they do around what we call Easter although their Memorial is nothing like Easter. Each holiday has different reasons. So it would be hard to summarize in a paragraph. Birthday are about not putting a day aside for ourselves. We should celebrate every day we are alive. Going back to the Bible the only examples of birthdays in the Bible are negative.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I remember that my Uncle's wife did not celebrate those days and she was a Jehova's Witness also. But I never knew why, so I'll be checking to see why.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 8:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Thank you Melbornj..that clarifies a lot..I still don't understand the birthday thing though I guess..it seems like a Mother would naturally want to celebrate the day her child was born...I guess it will just have to remain a mystery, I don't expect to be able to understand all religions as much as I'd like to~
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Good question!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:54 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I am no longer one so it is hard to explain with a lot of convictiong. One could actually explain it better than I did with scriptures.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I could never be one because i love to celebrate the holidays
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2010