when i turned 40 mybody started to change my periods became irregular, my period stay on longer than what it use to is this normal or not am i too young to be having post menopause

also i use to have severe cramps with my period but now i dont have it as bad, am i going through post menopause , i've had a pap test everything came back normal, so isit post meno , and will it stop

Tina411

Asked by Tina411 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in About CafeMom

• First off make an appt with your GYN. Having said that it is not uncommon for women age 40-45 to enter the 'peri-menopausal' state. That literally means 'surrounding menopause'. Some things are changing, you aren't in full menopause but it's coming and it could take 2 yrs or 10 yrs to get there. Birth control is as important now as ever. The risk for Downs Syndrome and other birth anomolies increases dramatically.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I am 39 years old and in the same situation.It kinda freaks me out but my doc says it is normal and she said she could give me birth control bt as far as getting pregnant, I cannot, so I am not concerned for that it is the horrible cramps and longer periods that I am not happy with. Feel for ya sister!
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 7:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You may be going through peri-menopause. See your doc & discuss it with him. Good luck!!
    krisstencarmela

Answer by krisstencarmela at 7:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2008