my 8 year old is the queen of i know that mom how do i change that?

my 8 year old thinks she knows it all and its driving me bananas she doesn't listen to me at all she always talks back to me and now she is teaching this to my 4 year old. i have given her spankings and time outs when she needs them but it doesn't seem to work. She just gets more rude by the day. Is there another way I can deal with this besides what I am doing? I don't know what else to do and I don't want my child to end up one of those unruley kids I see on tv or even in the neighborhood where I live at.

lovemykids770

Asked by lovemykids770 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start taking things away. Like the TV, Computer time, games, going to friends talking on the phone, buying her things, dessert. Punish her bad behavior and make sure she knows WHY and exactly what she did to loose her privledges to renforce good behavior. Your the Mommy and your in charge. Dont give in or give uo and trying to get it through her head your the boss and what you say goes. When I was a kid and talked back to my mom we got a bar of soap in our mouth for it. I survived without being poisioned, and it keps me and my sisters in line.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Check out Dr Ray Guarendi...

and consequences and consistency.
    mykidzmom-1

Answer by mykidzmom-1 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would be blunt. *You do not know everything. You are still a child, and while you've got some ideas, and have worked some things out in your mind, you are still a long way from having a complete picture. Getting attitude is the fastest way to prove to others that you know nothing but think you know everything.*

I am very clear with my kids. I don't need the mouth. Until you speak respectfully you will not be listened to at all. "You seem to think you are telling everyone something important, but I can't hear a thing other than a little girl who has a bad attitude" Then you don't listen to a word she says until she can speak in a respectful tone. Time outs for disrespect are not 'five minutes then you get off free' it's five minutes, AND demonstrating that you have changed your tone. If you are still speaking in a way that I find disrespectful, you will remain in your room until you can show me otherwise.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I've been very clear and firm with my kids about the way they act and talk to others.
    As for the back talk...when my 10 year old started and my 5 year old followed...what a nightmare!
    I took things away, I grounded, I even yelled...not much help. One day while he had a few friends over I asked to take care of his clothes(sitting in the couch) so his friends could sit...he says "I'd rather not, why don't you do it for me"
    I lost it.....in front of his friends I told him I didn't think he was funny and I doubted that his friends were all that impressed by his smart mouth. I then told him unless he wanted to spend the next 3 months in his room with NOTHING to do he had better adjust his tone with me. I explained that I'm not rude to him and I was not going to let him treat me like that.
    Since then he's been fine.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter is 8 and has started the same thing. I find it's best for them to discover on their own that they don't always know. I'll be trying to explain to her something that we are going to be doing and she stops me in mid sentence with a sigh and "I know" and I stop talking. 9 times out of 10 she then has to ask questions about what she said she knew, and I reinnerate that she just told me she knew so maybe she should figure it out or say she was wrong and let me explain. She sometimes will even try to figure it out on her own but she understands then by cutting me off that she's not doing anything but hurting herself. She cant make me mad or make me feel silly unless I let her, so there is no sense in me telling her she's making me mad cause she's not. I just let her learn by natural consequences.
    yw8t4life

Answer by yw8t4life at 3:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008