got a cold and cannot take any medicine

hey,i am just wondering what can i do about my cold. i have a sore throat and my head is about to explode,because i cough so much and it's hard to sleep at night,i got all that mucus in my throat built up,so it keeps me awake at night. i know women that are pregnant can not take any medicine. i am 31 weeks pregnant. what can i do to feel better?

thank you

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010 in Health

• Vick's salve on your throat. Suck lozenges. Drink warm tea with lemon and honey. gargle with salt water. Put some water in a pan and boil it, let the steam clear out your sinuses. (make a tent with a towel over your head)

Answer by admckenzie at 9:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• thank you a lot.
    crouse3

Comment by crouse3 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• actually i am 31 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me to take robotussin.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• and if you google it i think the web md page that comes up shows a list of everything you can take.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My doctor always said I could take any tylenol product including cold meds. I have 5 healthy well adjusted kids so, I think it is alright.

Answer by gemgem at 9:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• You can take sudafed (not the PE kind tho), benedryl, tylenol. Also, try gargling with salt water for your throat it helps a little.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• tylenol, honey with lemon and hot tea some steam to help with the secretions-- you could safely try the nasal saline spray and see if it helps you (it is safe I did it but it didnt work for me :()
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Zinc lozenges and ecanasia spray will help with sore throat and cough. Also take vitamin c and b if you're not already.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont