Baby showers?

Are baby showers for children after the first appropriate?

DebateandRelate

Asked by DebateandRelate at 11:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes! Every baby should be celebrated. Aside from issues of having all girl things and expecting a boy (or vice versa), it's still one of the perks of pregnancy. I've seen several different takes on a second-baby shower; one mom just asked friends to bring a meal that could be frozen in a disposable dish. Some showers are all clothes and/or diapers (my MIL went to one recently with a contest as to who could most creatively gift the diapers).

I plan to have baby showers with all of my children.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• IMO I think it greedy
    Anonymous

• yes ! of course.
    its not just for you, its for the baby too !
    i think every baby should get one.
    lilysmama09

Answer by lilysmama09 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Maybe do it as a get together, like everyone comes and hangs out for the celebration. Say in your invitations, "box of diapers or wipes appreciated" because you already have the basic baby supplies :) Thats what my bestfriend did. Good Luck!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The truth of the matter is: some think it's tacky, some think its okay if the births are far apart, some think it's okay if they are different sexes, and some think every baby should be celebrated.

I think anyone can do what they want to do; to each their own! If you want to have them with each kid go for it :) Only your opinion truly matters when it comes to wanting a party to celebrate :)

I myself decided to have a weekend out with the girls after the baby is born. Hubby will take the kids for a few days and I get to get a break with a pedi, a massage and a weekend on the beach :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I look at it as celebrating the pregnancy, whether its the 1st or 10th!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If someone offered to have one for me, I'd say thanks, but no thanks. If showers were really about celebrating the baby, I'd be all for it, but they're not. People don't go to shower to NOT give gifts, so saying, "They don't have to bring a gift doesn't work." They either won't come, or they'd feel guilty for not bring one, so they'd get something anyway.

People that WANT to give gifts seem to bring one when they meet the baby, anyway, so I think it's greedy to ask for more. The exceptions should be when it's been several years since you had your last, or if you're starting over with a new family. I don't even think the sexes should really matter, especially when there's always a chance that you could end up with the same thing you had before.

And asking someone to have a shower FOR you? Extremely tacky!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• me and my friend just had a shower for one of her friends. THis was her second child. But this one was a boy and the other one was a girl. There was also like almost 7 years between the kids. So we felt good that we threw her a babyshower. Because she did not think she could have anymore children. So she did not have much baby stuff left. So i can see having a shower in this case.
    crazyanniecroc

Answer by crazyanniecroc at 8:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008