Do kids suddenly become afraid of the dark?

I have a three year old son with special needs. Just recently, like maybe the past week. He has become afraid of the dark. Just tonight I asked him to go into his room to get a diaper. He freaked out and started crying. I asked if he wanted my help and he said yes, he grabbed my finger in a very tight grip and when we go to his door I said let go and he did, but he wouldn't walk into his room. I asked his dad to come in the hall to watch what he does, we turned on the hall light and he walked in his room, then we turned it off and he came right back out. We told him to turn his light on in his room, and he did and was fine. Before this he was fine going into his room, day or night, and turning on his light when it was off, but suddenly he is scared. I'm not sure what is going on, or if it is normal. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 11:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is very typical for 3 year olds, my daughter is visually impaired. She insisted on wearing her glasses to bed so she could see because she was scared, I feel for you. Her is a link to an article explaining

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/0_easing-your-preschoolers-fears_65581.pc
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My oldest did that around that age, b/c we had some issues going on at the time I blamed it on that and let him sleep wtih me for awhile but eventually I got some night lights as well as his "babies" and he was fine. By the way the babies were stuffed animals and I had to cover him with them to the point that his little head was all you could see. He would knock them off as soon as he fell asleep.
    My other son did it to and he got night lights as well and did fine.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 1:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter is only 15 months and she sometimes would start crying when I turned off the lights. I think she's starting to be afraid of the dark. I had gone to my dads last week and every time I would put her down for bed I would turn on the lamp beside the bed and she would be fine but if I didn't turn the lamp on she would throw a fit. It was a new environment for her.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• ha, I am almost 50 and I remember being afraid of the dark when I was a kid. It was the shadows. Anyways I have never outgrew it and still must leave the bathroom light on. I know it is silly at my age, but I guess it is just a psychological thing.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 10:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes. Perfectly normal. Their little imaginations are hard at work at this age. One day out of the blue my son all of a sudden needed the closet doors closed (might be monsters), his door left open, and the hallway light left on. We had no major life changes at the time.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 2:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2008