Is it bad?

My husband and I haven't been baptised, but we'd like to be. We aren't going to church right now because he works on Sundays but we're hoping he gets Sundays off soon so we can start. We'd like to be baptised but is it bad to wait for it? Most churches I've been to consider you to be a member of their church once you've been baptised there and I want to find a good "home" church before we do that.

Opinions from those that believe in baptism?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think you need to make sure that you get baptized in the church that you expect to be in for good. not all churches require that your a member but most will. it's not bad per say that your not baptized but in the bible it says that if your not that you can't go to heaven.you could ask for missionaries to come visit you on the days that your bf isn't working. there are a lot of churches that do that. my father wanted us to go to church. so we tried. the first 2 churches we went to were not nice. we just stood at the door. so we went home. the third time it was raining so hard to get out of the car. so my father prayed and said god if you want us to go to church and we tried tell me which one i should go too. the next day the mormon missionaries should up at the door. maybe you should pray to know which church would be the one for you guys. the lord will answer you if you have a sincere heart and faith.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I never heard that about churches considering you a member if your baptised there. Most of the churches here consider you a member when they are getting their 10% tithe from you. Take the time to look into the churches in your area and visit them as allot these days have other days of service besides just Sunday's.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, it's not bad to wait. Also, there are alot of churches now that have Saturday services
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes I believe it is bad to wait only because we are not promised tomorrow and if you are not working on sunday or do not work at all however the case may be he mait need to try and take off one sunday but if money is thin then I understand that I do. Then you all we have to pray on getting him a day off and I know God will say yes to that. It will truly unleft you all spirit, its not the water that does it but it is the living word of God and the power of the holy Ghost. Praise God. Im going to pray for you and your family Amen and get baptized.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, it is not BAD. You don't get baptized to belong to a church, you get baptized because you want to start your life anew, you want God and Jesus to know your heart and that you want to be forgiven and that you want to be baptized because of your heart. Not to be a member of a church! Doesn't that sound better? You are not BAD, unless it is in your Heart!!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know that being baptised isn't about becoming a member of a church...and I disagree with the first post. I believe you CAN get to Heaven without being baptised. Think about the thief on the cross next to Jesus. We've tried Wednesday and Saturday night services around out area but just can't find a church we like. We aren't a specific religion....just Christian. We found a church but it's mostly pentecostal and we don't care much for it. I would really just like to be baptised at a place we can call home :)

Thanks for your responses!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Baptism is an outward statement of faith. To get to heaven you need to be born again (declare Jesus Christ as your savior and believe that he died for your sins and was raised after 3 days).I don't believe that "working on Sundays" is a legitimate excuse for not going to church at all. Churches have different services throughout the week, I've only heard of a couple that doesn't.
    tcmeeler

Answer by tcmeeler at 10:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• tcmeeler: There aren't very many churches in my area that offer Wed or Sat services, we've looked! The ones that offer are not churches we would normally go to. There is one church in mind that I would love to be a part of but they ONLY have service on Sunday. While we don't go to church, we still take part in Bible study every Thursday. It's not like we're just being lazy.

Would you go to a church that you didn't like because it was one of the only churches that offered a service you could attend? What if you didn't agree with their teachings?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I totally think you should find a "home" church to be baptised at. It just concretes you there and you'll feel more like it's your home.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know you can be baptized into the Christian faith, and that baptism lasts forever. Also I know churches often do baptisms on an "appointment" basis---meaning you can privately meet with the minister and be baptized privately on your time schedule. You don't have to do it on sunday and publicly to make it valid. That way you can get baptized by the church you love, on your schedule, and attend when you can. There are many christian churches that you can be baptised at too---it does not have to be the one you wish to attend. And baptism is for those who are ready to take that step, you do not have to be baptized to go to heaven, otherwise where would all those kids that are not baptized go?
    Anonymous