• In the Spotlight:

my baby is 4months old....and i started giving her cereal today...but how many times do i give her

i dont know how this feeding things work...do i give it to her before her bottle???i just gave her one time today...cuase i dont know when???

starz16

Asked by starz16 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When introducing new foods especially for one that is so young once a day is more than enough. She is already getting everything she needs through either breastmilk or formula. This way you can make sure that she doesn't have a bad reaction. If she spits up more than normal her system is not ready for that food. I always gave my son their cereal in the morning before a bottle. But it really doesn't matter what time of day you do the cereal.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would give it only once/day. And always give her bottle first and then if she still wants something to eat then the cereal. The cereal is just a filler and doesn't have much nutrion.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Rule of thumb is once a day for new foods, and Id try the cereal first as a hungry baby wil accept it and a fed baby wont. OR you can just put the cereal IN the bottle. Today's cereals are fortifyed meaning they have extra vitamins added. They also help the baby feel fuller for a longer period of time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Our doc just started our little guy on rice cereal, and he told us to "give him a little taste before each feeding." Problem is, he's not just tasting, he's chowing down, lol!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i gave both my children potato,punkin mash 3 times a day,when baby is 6months then introduce other solids,having cereal this early stuffs there lil systems up especially there kidneys,ive spoken to many women around 50yrs--80yrs and theyve all said the same thing,the ceareal is to harsh for there tummys.i gave the food first then the bottle,a hungary baby will want food first,the milk is just an extra filler and keeps there tummys fuller for longer
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son started cereal @ 5 months and got it once in the morning and once before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• 4 months is early. Plus rice cereal is lacking in real nutrition and is more of a filler. Rice given too early can also cause food allergies. And the iron fortified stuff is hard on baby's kidneys. Stick with formula or breastmilk till AT LEAST 6 months, then do baby fruits and veggies. Skip the cereal.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

^^^^I agree with this^^^^
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008