What was your first Pagan and/or Witchcraft book?

The first book that introduced you to Paganism and/or Witchcraft. How many stars would you have given it then (out of 5)? How about now?

My first was either Teen Witch or To Ride a Silver Broomstick (both Silver Ravenwolf) when I was 8 or 9. After those, I read everything I could get my hands on. At the time, I would have given them 4 or 5 stars. Now, I would probably give them 3.5-4. I know, I know! So many people LOATHE Silver, BUT, I've always been able to figure out what was useful to ME and what wasn't, and I've been able to get something out of every book I've read (even if it's only one tiny thing).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:07 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Guilty....mine was To Ride a Silver Broomstick too. Then I got a couple more books of hers and they were the same thing almost. Now her Solitary Witch is much better than her beginners books, it is more of a reference type book and not so much of her opinions. She did a lot more research with SW in my opinion.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:30 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I bought a few close together in high school, but I think the first was Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner. It's been MANY years since I've read it, but I thought it was a pretty good book. I still have most all of my books on witchcraft and Wicca, but they're stored right now. I'd love to pull them out and read some of them again sometime though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• "The teen witch's guide to spellcraft" by Guinevere Raine. And once I decided on a method of magick-working, two books by Raymond Buckland on working candle magick. I would give Guinevere's book a 3 rating on the scale. It was a good book for someone just starting to do witchcraft. The best books I ever got were e-books from a couple named Bogdan and Giancarlo. They contained old European spells and those were very powerful.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:05 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I can't remember. I used to read a lot of different books on occultism and things when growing up, but can't recall any of the titles. I've always been drawn to the occult and supernatural.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• $ilver hadn't been "invented" yet. I think the first one was Cavendish's Encyclopedia of the Unexplained. I was limited to what was available at the library, but our library was surprisingly open minded for being right of the street from Dennis Hastert's house.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:04 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A guide for the Solitary Practitioner
    and
    a book by Laurie Cabot.. (Can't remember which one though)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells and Rituals (Penczak Temple Series)This was my first. I recommend this book for nubies, but I would suggest reading the OUTTER CIRCLE first. I still give it 5 stars.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:36 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• OMG! I totally forgot about the Laurie Cabot book!! The Power of the Witch or something like that. It's around here somewhere ... I remember thinking she was cool, now I think she is so very ODD. So I would give her book, maybe 1 star. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:54 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Scott Cunninghams Wicca:Guide to the Solitary Practitioner. I got it on the advice of a friend.

Id have given it a 5 stars cuz it opened my eyes to many things Id always wondered aboutr but never thought Id get answers to, in this life.

Id still give it a 5.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2010