What does it mean to light a candle for someone?

I have heard this term my entire life and I have never asked until now.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 4:09 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics light candles in honor of certain people or to represent a certain prayer said, whether it's for a baby, money, safety, or whatever. In witchcraft, I light a candle for the same reasons--to represent the person I am doing a spell for (my grandchildren have their own candles, each one etched with their name. I use them often for healing). And for the same reasons--to heal an illness, to protect a child, to help someone to have a healthy pregnancy, etc. Or to honor the help of a certain spirit. Or in a specific ritual. Pagans and wiccans use candles for the same reason. It's equivalent to a christian saying a prayer on someone's behalf--only more pro-active.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:57 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• People do it if someone is sick or if someone had died ,they do it in memory of them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:13 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Witchqueen said it best. I light candles for both reasons (Catholic and Pagan), usually combining both religions and blending it to my own practice. Either way, the result is usually the same.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Pagans do it as a lower form of magic.. it is simple to take a candle think of a person or intent and put that thought into the candle and light it.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Well the terminology used to answer will change a bit depending on if someone is coming at this question from a Catholic perspective or a Pagan one. But its really all the same reasoning. We light a candle as a way to send out positive energy or energy in memorandum. Usually the candle is blessed or imbued with some kind of positive energy and then lit in honor of someone - hence sending our positive energy for or to that person.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010