please help, newborn hasn't been pooping.

my newborn baby girl is a week old today and was born at 35 weeks. she's been great and everything's healthy and normal, however ive noticed she hasnt been pooping in a couple of days and today will be day 3 with not dirty diaper. im bottle feeding her and trying to breast feed as well. she's only had wet diapers. i went to the doctor for her first check up a couple of days ago and the doctor said it's cause she isn't eating enough but not to worry. however, my baby girl finishes all her bottles and still nothing. is it normal that she hasn't had a poopy diaper in 3 days? if not, how long do i wait before i go back to the doctor?

joymoon87

Asked by joymoon87 at 5:11 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off, congratulations on your new baby!!!

I had the same problem. I was BF and bottle feeding. Our problem was the formula. He was on similac and you could tell he was constipated. We switched to Enfamil and he started going a couple times. They say to test the formulas for a week. The problem came back a few months later and we switched him to the Parents Choice brand. I wouldn't give her any juice. She is way too little. good luck!!
    Sarahe786

Answer by Sarahe786 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Don't give her anything. She is probably just fine UNLESS she is SCREAMING in pain. I had a baby who only went once a week, and one who went every 3 to 4 days. My other two went daily. :D 3 days is well within a normal range.

If she hasn't gone in a week or is in extreme pain, then you have a reason to me concerned.

Congratulations on your new baby!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:35 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• any suggestions on what to do?
    joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Id call your doc before you do anything, I know ebf babies can go over a week with no poop and it's normal, depending on her weight, formula etc, she might just need some time, who knows, contact an advice nurse in the mean time they have a 24hr line
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:13 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• They have infant suppositories at the pharmacy. I believe Walgreens is open on Christmas day. My MIL used to even shave off a piece of a bar of soap and use it but I'm not sure how the doctor would like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:17 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Just give a little pear juice in a bottle. If that doesn't make her have a BM within 24 hours, contact pedi.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:57 AM on Dec. 25, 2010