BF - breast pain & baby diaper rash - is it a yeast infection? how to treat?

Merry Christmas!!

I've been breastfeeding for about 13 months now and recently, my right breast/nipple hurts when I feed. At the same time, my DD has a bad diaper rash. Would it be because of a yeast infection on my breast thats causing this? I've heard that if it's a yeast infection, both breasts would be affected and in pain, however in my case, just one is. If it is a yeast infection, what can I do for my DD and myself? Any natural ways to cure? If not, what could it be? (can't be just a coincidence that she has a diaper rash and my breast hurts at the same time can it?) Has anyone experienced this before? Your responses are greatly appreaciated! At this time of year, I won't be able to see my doctor till mid next week (if lucky) or possibly not till next year even, so help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Health

• It can be a coincidence. However if you want to be sure, get some Lotramin AF and put on the nipples, just make sure to wipe off before nursing. As for babys rash, get some yogurt into her diet. and even put some on her rash directly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• If it is yeast, you might only have one infected nipple. Keep nursing.

Squirt milk on the diaper rash. You can get an Rx from your doc after the holiday. If you join the breast feeding moms group here you can get some very good info on treating yeast with gentian violet and other natural cures.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Could be teething. Sometimes when my son was teething he would suck harder and bite, and he would get a diaper rash. Still does & he is 28 months.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:57 AM on Dec. 26, 2010