Why are some so threatened by others loving God?

I've read so many posts lately where people want religion out of schools, and public areas in general. Why? What is so bad about teaching children that the universe was created by a God who loves them? Why shouldn't we teach others that right and wrong exist, and when you do wrong there are consequences? And for those of you who don't believe, why can't you just choose to not believe... and let us pray if we want??

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 11:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Put yourself in someone elses shoes. Let's say Christianity wasn't the majority -- and Wiccan was. Would YOU want kids taught that a loving Goddess was the creator? That the Wiccan belief was the one true path? Prayer to the Goddess before school began? Would you want teachers in authority telling your children something you believe to damn their soul? Would you want your children confused and conflicted about what was said at home and what was pushed on them by people they respect in school? It's about respecting that another persons belief is any less valid then yours. It's understanding that religion doesn't belong in the public sector because there is not just one path.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• religion is ur choice. no reason to have it in schools. theres Christians, Jews, Muslims.. Why should one religion be in school? thats not fair! i do not want my kids to learn religion in school and as their mom i have that right. I do not care what u do in ur own home but do not push religion down my childs neck by school.. if u want ur kids to learn about god or w/e religion then send them to a school that is ment for just that. no one has the right to teach another persons kids any religion. it is not their job!! school is ment for learning math, science, history etc NOT RELIGION!! thats what churches r for and temples.. get over urself just bc u believe in god and u think ur religion is right. NOT EVERYONE DOES! MY KIDS LEARN WHAT I WANT THEM!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am not treated by others loving G-d.

I love G-d too What is so bad about teaching children that the universe was created by a God who loves them? Because some people don't have that belief

. Why shouldn't we teach others that right and wrong exist, and when you do wrong there are consequences? Believing in G-d or not doesn't determin morals. What I beleive to be wrong, you may see as right, especially if it's from a religious conviction.

And for those of you who don't believe, why can't you just choose to not believe... and let us pray if we want?? I do beleive G-d exists (although you will tell me it's the wrong G-d, eventhough I believe it's the same one) pray all you want. I don't know what you are saying, are you saying people don't want you to pray?

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 12:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well said Serafyna!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i don't think it's bad that god is in childrens lives. i totally agree with you. this country was founded by god and god should stay.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• By the way, taking "Prayer" out of school does NOT take away a childs right to pray whenever and wherever they want. It DOES stop a Principle or Teacher from leading a mandatory prayer at the beginning of the school day or at events. Again - this person is in a public servant position of authority and should not be pushing religious beliefs on children. That is what "stopping" prayer means. Children can and do still pray as they want.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• OMG STOP POSTING THIS AND GET OVER IT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN GOD AND ITS NOT RIGHT FOR U TO PUSH HIM LIKE U R
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Anon... but Darwinism is being forced on my kids (or, will be, when they get to school age). And the "big bang" theory is being tought as fact. So yes, things are being forced on Christians too. If the left wing liberals have their way, I won't have any rights to my religious practices outside of my own home.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Melody77 -- God did not found the USA. As a matter of fact, our founding fathers were escaping religious persecution and they KNEW religion needed to stay separate from state. They understood it was a very private matter and should be left to the individual. Not all of them were Christian, some were outspoken against organized religion (Thomas Jefferson constantly challenged religion and it's duality). When people talk of getting back to the things this country was based on -- one of those firm beliefs was the idea of separating church and state.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2008