I feel stupid asking this, but how long do you cook a 20lb turkey for and at what temp?

I have cooked many turkeys, but they always had the directions. The one I bought this year doesn't and I can't remember how long I'm supposed to cook it for and what temp the oven has to be. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.......

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 10:54 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You're safer to go by temp than by hours - your oven may not be even close to what it says it's at or have hot and cold spots. Use a meat thermometer and just make sure it's 160 degrees, then let it sit and rest for 15-20 minutes. Use a real thermometer - don't count on one of the pop up ones built in if you have one. If you start it at 500 for a half hour then turn it down to 350 until it's done, it should be about 3-4 hrs for a bird that big, provided you don't stuff it with actual stuffing. If you stuff it, you need to cook it even longer to make sure you don't get salmonella from the stuffing, and the meat will be overcooked.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I cook mine in my electric roaster (comes out better than in then oven, for me) breast down for 1-2 hours at 425, then I flip it back breast up and turn the temp down to 325 and cook for another (since it's a 20 lb bird) 4-6 hours. It'll be fall-apart tender.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• go onto the Butterball website

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• between 3-4 hrs if it thawed and i think like 4-5 if its frozen......call the butterball people they know for sure......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2010