Potty Training Boys

I am starting to potty my 17 month old son because he is showing alot of signs so i introduced the potty today and he is checking it out and sitting on it all the time some times with clothes on sometimes not. I was just wanting to see what has worked for moms and what hasnt. If you could leave me some feed back.

2009mommytobe

Asked by 2009mommytobe at 11:31 AM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have heard getting toilet stickers works great when they are older (standing to go). it gives them something to aim at
    new_mom_2011

Answer by new_mom_2011 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We tried to make it fun for our son.

He had a couple of kid's books about the potty, and liked to have them with him while sitting on the potty. We always had him take off his pull-up while on the potty (sitting bare bottom only). We didn't scold him if he wet his pull-up, but excitedly reminded him that maybe next time he has to "go", he can try it on the potty.

He got little stars (silver for PP, gold for poop) when he went in the potty, and was able to earn prizes when he saved up enough stars. We made him a little poster with cutouts of the different prizes he could get, and the number of stars required to earn them. This was posted in front of his potty.

Once he was pretty good about using his potty, he graduated to using the toilet, with the seat to his potty (which was design for this transfer) positioned on the toilet, for his use. When he was ready to stand and PP, we got those little toilet targets. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:50 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Thanks you to.... I think im going to give him a week to just sit on it and to get used to it and explore then we are going to make a chart. and being from there.
    2009mommytobe

Comment by 2009mommytobe (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Dec. 25, 2010

• ss_mom that is such a cute idea! how old was your son when you did this? 2009mommytobe- the original potty seat we had for my son, he would do the same thing, and eventually it just became a toy & now he carries it around the house but doesnt even think of it as a potty chair, like he does his other one! His new one, i dont let him play or move it or even sit on it dressed so he dont get confused
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2010