• In the Spotlight:

Im really worried baout taking my 2 year old daughter to my first appt...

My DH will not be able to join me on my first appt. since being pregnant. He will be gone, I will have to bring my 2 year old daughter with me. Im really worried its not going to go well. She gets really concerned when DH or myself are being examed for whatever reason. I know that the first appt. consists of a pelvic exam and breast exam and all those wonderful things we moms have to go through. We do not live near any family or freinds, since we are new to the area. and daycare is not an option. Im worried and nervous. She is very clingy and I think would cry once I even get on the table. Im planning on bringing her some books and toys, but Im just not sure how to handle this... What have you done in this situation? Any advice. Appt is tomarrow! this is gong to be a concerning time for her. I dont know how she will react. Ive talked to her about it and tried to explain it. But I think it will still be a mess. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I brought both of my kids 4 and 2 -- keep a positive attitude. Kids read ques from you. Smile a lot and let her know you're okay. Talk soothingly. Keep her reassured and tell her whats going on. Also, make sure your appointment is not too close to nap time (and future appointments) to avoid fussy/overtired toddler. Get her something special if needed (I think I got my kids some apple juice on the way from McDonalds) ... or a snack food she really likes -- to whip out as an emergency silencer.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Don't know what you want as an answer. If you have to take her, then you have to take her. You don't have a neighbor or friend that could watch her? They usually have toys in the waiting room (or at least mine does) Maybe it's a good thing to take her and your dr. can help make it a good experience. (would tell him/her the situation) Good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I dont think I want to leave her in the waiting room while i go away for 30 min! Uhhh yea nope!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Not MY problem lady....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Whats that supposed to mean....? Im asking for some good advice and to hear what other Moms have done. Or how thier child has reacted to this...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Now thats what I wanted to hear! Thank you Serafyna! Good advice! You are one samrt lady!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2008