Am I being unreasonal to expect my upstairs neighbor to stop bannging around at 2 am ?

this has been going on since April Her 2 kids under 6 run around playing and banging toys all night , between 12 and 3 am it its constant and consistant . Her children have a TV that plays so loud I can tell what movies they are playing and they play literally al night every night . I have at least 10 complaints to my landlord who is IMO passing the buck to the police . My son 8 sleeps with earplugs so that he can get sleep his room is under her kids rooms. My landord has instructed me to call the police in addition to filing a complain so that she can do somthing . So I did last night at 2 am I had been trying to drown it out and sleep for 2 hours and finally I heard a thud of some kind that went on for 10 minutes straight . I called the cops. As soon as they left she came down calling me all kinds of trashy names and telling me deal with it she had kids and they make noise. I reminded her that this is 2 am and she lives in a multi family dwelling .
She said to fuck off and die . Then proceeds to jump up and down on the floor to the point my light bulb in a fixture popped and went out . So again I called the cops . They came an stood in my dwelling for 20 min and agreed that this is excessive noise .
She got at ticket for disturbing the peace . The cops say that they will speak to my manager and encourage me to keep callling . I dont want to see anyone evicted but she has made it clear she will no modify her routine .
Am I out of line to want a good night sleep ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• I have neighbors like that kicked out. They need to be in a house or out on a farm not disturbing people. The landlord needs those police reports to help with an eviction.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• no your not wrong and i think the landlord needs to be doing more after 10 complaints.....maybe start looking for somewhere else to live
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• No,that's totally understandable. I was in your situation once.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• You thing I should move ? I have the law on my side she is not only in violation of her rental agreement but city code . We have a " Quiet hours" statute in our town. The fine is 75 dollars per occurance I dont know what happens if you rack them up and don't pay
    but the Police said it may givet he landlord grounds to pursue eviction
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We had to move for the same reason once. The landlord did not want to evict the family so they found us another place in the same complex under medical students. We were not able to hang anything on our walls because the neighbors would stomp around so much it would fall down and break.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's unreasonable at all! If she doesn't straighten up just keep doing what your doing. It may cause her to get evicted, but that's her choice. I know I wouldn't put up with it and I'd be doing the same thing. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Not unreasonable, and we have been in your position as well. There should be no reason that YOU have to disrupt your life and move for someone else's lack of respect. Keep calling the cops and eventually she will either be evicted or get tired of racking up fines. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:21 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Make her life hell. Keep calling cops til she moves out.
    I'm a landlord n that situation would let me know we would need more insulation between da floors to block out da sound.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• my landlord acts as thought it is out of her control but the cops told me that the landlord can also be held accountable if her tennants violate city ordinance repeatedly So hopefully not that have had to resort to gettig the cops involved it will get some resolution soon
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I have a good landlord, so overall I am pretty lucky, but I have had a bad one. LOL around here thats exactly the kind of answers you hear for almost everything when you need someone elses help " Its out of their control; nothing they can do about it." Sure you dont live where I live?LOL You have to always make sure that you dont end up in any bad situation because no one will do anything about it. Thats the way I live my life in the town I am in!
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 2:07 PM on Dec. 25, 2010