Really worried about taking my 2 year old daughter to my first Appt...

My DH will not be able to join me on my first appt. since being pregnant. He will be gone, I will have to bring my 2 year old daughter with me. Im really worried its not going to go well. She gets really concerned when DH or myself are being examed for whatever reason. I know that the first appt. consists of a pelvic exam and breast exam and all those wonderful things we moms have to go through. We do not live near any family or freinds, since we are new to the area. and daycare is not an option. Im worried and nervous. She is very clingy and I think would cry once I even get on the table. Im planning on bringing her some books and toys, but Im just not sure how to handle this... What have you done in this situation? Any advice. Appt is tomarrow! this is gong to be a concerning time for her. I dont know how she will react. Ive talked to her about it and tried to explain it. But I think it will still be a mess. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've never had to deal with a situtation like this, but maybe you can see if a nurse or one of the girls at the front desk can entertain her and help take the attention away from you some how.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have no idea what to say... If you lived near me I'd watch her for a couple hours, other than that I can't offer anything... And of course I don't know where you live. I'm in SE Michigan if that helps at all!
    HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Nope I live in Boston MASS. Thanks for the offer though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If it's a doctor and nursing staff that you are comfortable with, see if she can stay in an office or something with them. I'm sure they would understand.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 1:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hello I may have an answer. When all of this is going on talk to your little girl tell her what is going on with out going into great detal. you might say that the docter is just looking to make sure that everything is ok and things like that try to keep her more interested in talking to you or talk to her about a book or a toy she may have. I have to take my 18mo and 6mo. old with me every time I go and this has worked every time because before I started doing this my son would cry when they took my blood pressure.

Good luck
    csanders5507

Answer by csanders5507 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There's bound to be a free nurse willing to distract your little one. My office is a family practice so they have toys and books around. My gyno had a tv with childrens tapes and toys, too when I was preg.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I take my 20 month old son with me. When he gets concerned, I ask if they can listen to his heart with the doppler... that eases his concern and distracts him. (Wait to toward the end of the appointment though maybe)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I never had family that lived near me and my dh had to work. When the doctor checks you over, the nurse usually keeps an eye on what the doctor is doing and needs and also keeps an eye on your child. You could take a couple of toys for your daughter. The doctor and nurse are used to this situation. I am pretty sure that they deal with with alot.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008