She spilled my breastmilk everywhere! (VENT)

We went to my MIL's house last night for a quick Christmas with them. First of all I didn't want to not because I don't like my in-laws but because the weather is cold, windy and snowy (to me not something that you should be taking a 17 month and 2 month in) but we went.
While we were there I went and pumped my milk in the other room for my son (he never could latch onto me). We use the drop-in bottles. Well I had everything out on the counter. I had not put the liner in the bottle but it was right beside the bottle itself. I was cleaning my pump out to put back away. My MIL didn't even check to see if the liner was in the bottle and 'poured' the milk into the bottle and all over the floor (before she did this I heard my hubby say that I would take care of the bottle). Well, tempers flared from my hubby, FIL & MIL and I ended up getting chewed out because of the milk mess; that did not set well with me. Like I knew that my MIL was going to decide to try and fill the bottle after she was told not to. Then my hubby wonders why I don't like spending alot of time at the in-laws.
Yes, I know she was trying to be helpful but there are times I really wish she wouldn't. I had already upset her last night since I told her I didn't want her feeding the infant because he likes to try and put his tongue up before you get the bottle in his mouth and milk goes everywhere and she yelled at me about that. I'm just getting really tired of getting my butt chewed out because I'm trying to do the best for my kids.

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 1:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• It'll be fine. Good thing you can't run out of milk ! Just hug the woman and tell her Merry Christmas. You both will feel better

Answer by admckenzie at 2:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• that does suck they shouldn't have blamed you for it spilling
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 2:07 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• omg i EP too i would of been so pissed!!! every drop counts!!! i watch my milk like a hawk!!!! im sorry u lost some milk!! *hugs*
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Ok I have done that many times, on my own, hell I forgot to screw the top on once and gave the baby a milk bath. She was trying to be helpful, but I know how sometimes there is to much help and it can be frustrating. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• It might work on showing her how to feed her grandson if she listened. She didn't bottle feed her kids and my son didn't pick up this little quirk until a few days after he was born.
    OliviaW.

Comment by OliviaW. (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• If this were my MIL I would have to wonder if she did it on purpose. The only times she tries to be helpful is when she can make a situation worse. Oh, and then she would start in with the pity party of how no one appreciates her anymore. Next time, listen to your gut, if you don't think you should go - don't.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Sounds like everyone was testy over the first incident of you not letting her feed the baby (not sure why you could not have let her and told her HOW instead of NO)

Accidents happen. I am sure now that you all can step back from it all you will all see that.

As far as going out in the cold...When I lived in South Dakota, if I used that as a reason I would have not left my house all winter. They make cold weather gear and it was not like you were going to have dinner outside :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2010