I really do not think this is normal at all.............

My 21 year old step daughter goes in the bathroom to take a bath and 5 minutes being in there...she screams like she is angry or very upset. At first it sacred me so much that I jumped out of my skin and almost broke the door down. I tried but could not get in... she was still screaming from the top of her lungs. I finally was on the phone almost calling the fire department or the cop. When she finally got out of the bathroom and she gave a "What" look and went to her room. When she finally came out of her room and sit down in the living room. I question her about it and she acted like it was no big deal..like it did not happen at all. Now this has been going on for at least 2 weeks at least 3 to 4 times a week..same routine. Goes in the bathroom to take a bath, screams her lungs out, walks out, looks at me like what, and goes into her room. When she is question about it she shrugs it off like it really is not a big deal. I know this is not normal or is it? If it isn't then what can I do?

BrknWingAngel

Asked by BrknWingAngel at 2:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• She's fine. She is just venting. Tell her to let you know when she really needs help though.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:26 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• could she be masturbating in the bath? I think this is something you should definitely talk about with her. Start off like "I dont mean to embaress you, but...."
    Anonymous

• I hope she is just venting for it is scaring me to death.
    BrknWingAngel

Comment by BrknWingAngel (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's normal at all. If it's your house, remove the lock from the bathroom door. Next time, it happens, announce as you walk through the door that you're coming in. It sounds to me like some kind of manipulative tactic, and I would not allow it to continue. Your house, your right to live in peace.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I don't think she would be in there playing with herself ...this is a very very angry screaming....more like someone is killing someone in the bathroom angry raging screams. I am also wondering now if it is just venting maybe she is doing more then that in the bathroom...maybe hurting herself??
    BrknWingAngel

Comment by BrknWingAngel (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Never thought of that ....might take them locks off and find out for I do not think this is normal at all.
    BrknWingAngel

Comment by BrknWingAngel (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Could she be a cutter? I know this is a very touchy subject for some, but have you noticed any blood on her clothing or towels? I had a friend who liked to cut and she did something similar to this. Like you said, could she be hurting herself? it is possible. I would sit down and have a serious talk with her. Cutting is addictive and she just might not be able to stop if she is. That's all I can really think of. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Interesting. It could be a number of things. I knew someone once who had a daughter who would sit up in the middle of the night and scream her head off (she was maybe 15 or 16 when this started). She wouldn't remember anything about it once it was over. It turns out that she was having very short, dramatic seizures. If she's not venting or hurting herself, I suppose it's possible that the temperature change or something could trigger a seizure? I don't know, it's just a thought.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• WOW... IDK...Good luck! I suppose it could be her hurting herself, or venting, or just a tactic to scare the crap out of you. Good luck! I would just talk to her about it and see WTF she's doing!
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• a cutter does not scream!!!! . shes probably just venting and needs to find a different outlet. masturbating i have never met anyone that screams like death when they do that.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2010