Does celery absorb fat? Or is this an old wives tale?

When making turkey soup after Thanksgiving dinners my mom would put in about 6 to 8 stalks of celery into the pot along with the carcass. About three hours later (which was enough time to clean up after the dinner, chop the onions, garlic and rosemary for the soup.) We would drain the soup into another soup pot (this would hold most of a 15lb turkey) strip the bones and remove the soggy celery stalks. When asked she would say that the celery had absorbed most of the fat from the meat but has left the flavor. Now we still had to skim the fat from the top of the jars and containers for at least three days so as far as I can tell it did nothing to remove the fat. I've made the soup both ways and have tasted no difference. So what do all of you think? Does the celery do anything to absorb the fat or enhance the flavor?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Celery does not absorb fat. In order to absorb fat, you need something that the fat will bind to. I suppose if you threw bread on top, It would absorb some of the fat, but it would absorb the broth, too!. I make the stock one day, put it in the fridge, let the fat surface and solidify, then skim it from the top. I leave a little in for flavor.

As for "negative calories"-- celery has few calories, and the theory is that it takes more energy to metabolize celery than you actually get from eating it. I don't believe that's true. A calorie is the amount of energy it takes to burn off that unit of food-- therefore, if you eat 4 calories of celery-- you will burn off 4 calories of celery. Fortunately, you'll get other nutrients, too. Yum Yum!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• It enhances the flavor but does not absorb the fat.
    Anonymous

• It's not pulling the fat, it's just getting soggy. Instead of skimming, just get down to your final batch of strained broth, throw it in the fridge overnight, and the next morning, take out the solid chunk of fat that floated to the surface and made a crust over the broth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Old wives tale?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Celery does not absorb fat. It is considered a negative calorie food though :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• A calorie is the amount of energy it takes to burn off that unit of food--

No, a calorie is the amount of energy required to raise a measure of water by one degree celsius. The type of food it comes from is irrelevant. The whole idea behind negative calorie foods is sound, but only if you're eating just that food. If you add salt, dip, peanut butter or anything else, it's no longer valid. (and that would also include celery soaked in broth)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Just adds flavor as far as soaking up the fat maybe if we eat nothing but celery yes then the fat will come off ;) good weigh to lose weight :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Heck if this were true....I will eat lbs of celery....=P
    dreamingmind

Answer by dreamingmind at 8:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2010