Does anyone feel like the holidays a just a distraction from your " reality" ?

NE1outthere

Asked by NE1outthere at 4:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• I only have an opinion as an "outsider" (my family does not celebrate any holiday in the month of December).

In some ways, yes. I think the holidays are a distraction from reality for many people. Today I was reading the projected numbers for $$ spent in retail (which our economy is 70% dependent on) and that number is : $451.5 BILLION dollars spent. I saw this number and thought "Wow.." During the week I read one article stating that 1 out of 3 Americans earns under $20k a year, and 1 in 7 is receiving foodstamps, unemployment is still in double digits, and many other horrible economic indicators are still apparent yet the American public spent over $400Billion this holiday season. I wonder how much of that was credit as opposed to cash. And how much it's going to affect our already unstable economy when the bills for this holiday season come due.

Whether the distraction is bad or good is all in the eye of the beholder.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:54 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• What do you mean?
    Momluv269

Answer by Momluv269 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• If it is, it is. Last major holiday that we celebrated (Thanksgiving) ended up with my father dead in a car accident. I will happily spend a day distracted from my reality!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• It's a pretty good distraction then lol
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 4:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• In a way, and after it's all said and done, it's back to reality again.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 4:52 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Well put question. I see it as a major distraction from when we are "seemingly'' programmed by media, and economics, ( maybe not the best example) but for now, this will work, what is it that most of the moms are having trouble with the one day of year that only children seem to get into. I don't know
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:11 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Not sure how you feel about the holidays but I've come to feel like i've gotten jipped. I use to get presents just because & most of the time at Christmas or Birthday but now a days I don't get that! This year just doesn't feel like it should to me. I don't know if that is what you mean but it's exactly how I take it.
    plstrm

Answer by plstrm at 5:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2010