Did anyone else NOT celebrate Christmas?

We never do, and although I am used to it, it is a bummer. I grew up celebrating christmas, but my husband's religion prohibits it. So we haven't had christmas for probably 15 years. I'm not really interested in why you maybe didn't celebrate ( I do Not want a religious discussion) but just wondering what you do all day with being off work and all the stores closed.

mailcats1

Asked by mailcats1 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't celebrate, so on this day I do what I do any other day. I cooked, cleaned, spent time playing with the kids and when they took a nap I got on the computer, watched a movie....so on and so on. I don't go to the stores everyday so it doesn't bother me that the stores are closed.. To me, it's no different than any other day. My kids are happy and that's what matters.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Do you still go to your families house and celebrate Christmas? If so, I would split my time with my family doing Christmas and home with the hubby that doesn't.. My DH family does things I just don't enjoy so we do some things separate :)

I would love to kick back and watch my fav movies all day, play on the computer and just chill...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:11 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We don't celebrate because it isn't our holiday. This year is hard. DH is out of town for a conference and our families are completely ignoring me and the kids. My older ones are leaving for a bike ride since it is nice. My 5 yr old just put himself down for a nap. I've been sewing hearts and giving them to random strangers for the past few weeks. I'm running low, so I go into my sewing studio and make some more. Later on we'll watch a movie, maybe even go to the movies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:11 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We didn't buy any gifts this year for the children because times are very hard...My husband works very hard but I am at home...need to really find a job to help out and make things better....But I did make a big Christmas dinner...My oldest daughter who is 11 yrs old went to her father's house for Christmas...at least she will have a wonderful Christmas...but my husband and I didn't exchange gifts and my 4 yr old didn't get anything...but I told her I will get her something after Christmas...she was okay with that...It breaks my heart to not celebrate this year because I try my best to give gifts every year to the children to make them smile and be happy...Didn't even receive or give out any Christmas cards like I do normally....But I am happy to be healthy and blessed with a lovely family....
    mamidearest3

Answer by mamidearest3 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Maybe you can go catch a movie. Gulliver's Travels opens today. I am taking the kids to see it tomorrow since we do celebrate Christmas.
    Have a good day regardless of how you spend it ♥
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:42 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• mamidearest3 Items at Walmart are 70% off and some toys and apparel are about $4 to $7 .

I like to go and get sales later on if that is an option.
    Anonymous

• Not getting gifts is only a spec of what not celebrating a thing that is really done in a sense to do a complacent on children. I thought in childhood it's nice grown ups are giving to us and having joy watching the paper fly in every direction. Although it still urks me to the core how much stuff people over use, and we complain about pollution etc. Paper is just a thing to wrap a present but the week after the trash haulers have to put it someplace. I really wonder if people anyplace ever give a slight thought that this is a major problem. Other things that abused as this time of year, is it's used as a time for a break from economics. When in fact the bad part is children aren't really doing anything productive or helpful. I can't seem to get it through their little minds that respect is never respected when they are wasteful and don't learn this time especially, and I did no problem. What is their true problem?
    Anonymous

• We still have fun! We spend this time preparing for Kwanzaa.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2010