Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

If my ex's CS is dropped to ZERO & case is closed...

Can my husband adopt my son due to abandonment? My ex has not seen my son in approx 8 years. He is on SSI and they are taking away my CS. He refuses to see my son due to mental issues. My husband would love to adopt him although my ex refuses to sign off on it.

Answer Question

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 31 (48,442 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • you can do it anyways. take him to court. i think they can do it involuntary signing over of rights as long as you have someone to adopt him. i would contact a lawyer. i am not sure if its different in every state. in my state i could not do it because i have noone to adopt my daughter and her father is still paying. but you never know where it might lead to one day. good luck

    Answer by lambdarose at 4:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • Ex has to sign away his rights in order for your husband to adopt him

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • Ex has to sign away even if he hasn't seen him in years and won't be financially paying either? Must be a way around that...

    Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • How can they drop the cs? I don't get it. His SSI should be paying his CS. That's how I get my cs. Call a family law attorney in your state and see what the laws are. It's normally free to ask a question or call Legal Aid.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • I called Child Support directly and the court house. They can drop the CS because it's (the SSI) looked upon like welfare, a "need based grant." My ex was criminally prosecuted 2 years ago for owing over $40K in back support. ONLY because of the court case did my ex file for SSI. For the 18 months that he was on probation they took out $212/month for my CS. Now that he is off probation they are dropping my support to zero. I am going to contest it but he has a lawyer and they already told me it's almost a done deal that I am losing the CS. It's making me so angry but there's nothing I can do.

    Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • I think he has to sign his rights over even if your husband is willing to adopt. If he doesnt show up though you can get it granted I believe because he failed to appear! I can't believe it got dropped to zero. That is bullcrap and how in the hell can he afford a lawyer anyway! I think your right in having your hubby adopt and not deal with this guy anymore. Goodluck Mama!

    Answer by RhondaJ at 5:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • He doesnt want to be known as the unfit father although, that is what he is..

    Answer by Patientchild3 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • Hire a lawyer.

    Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • Yuck. Its funny that when you ever apply for any benefits as in welfare, foodstamps, medicaid etc they count child support as income and total resources but if the man is on any kind of assistance he doesn't have to pay that support. What a double standard load of horse crap.

    Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

  • You basically summed it up Crystal. Load of crap!

    Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.