why WOULDNT you celebrate christmas?

even if you don't celebrate the "real" reason..what would stop you from doing presents for people? is it no money? religious reasoning? i read an answer earlier about religion prohibiting the christmas celebration..what religion does that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont celebrate Christmas b/c now that I am an adult, its my choice. I made that decision because the holiday has too many conflicts for my taste.

1. I think its a gimmick to get the masses to flood the stores so that currency has a routine spike around the same time every year.
    2. Ppl are extremely fake this time of yr.
    3. I have no religious ties to it
    4. My family gives gifts all yr round, and so the spirit of Christmas doesnt start or stop with one day - Dec 25
    5. I celebrated the solstice, the ORIGINAL holYday.
    6. Im pretty busy preparing for 7 days of Kwanzaa
    7. I dont like to lie to my kids - not about santa, or about a birthday, or anything else for that matter
    8. Im happy this way

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We are Jewish. It's not our holiday. We celebrate Chanuaka, which was early this year. Today is Shabbat, so most people I know do what we do every Shabbat - go to synagogue and enjoy lunch together afterwards. When Christmas falls on a week I take it as extra day with DH and the kids. What greater gift is there than that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• We celebrated Diwali last month.. 5 days of celebrations, festivities and gift giving.

Why wouldn't you celebrate it too? lol I mean, just like you wonder why me and mine wouldn't celebrate Christmas, even if it's just for the gift giving. Why wouldn't you and yours celebrate Diwali even if it was just for the gift giving?

I celebrate the holidays I choose to celebrate because of the meaning/important/significance of the holiday for my religious reasons and cultural reasons. Why do you choose to celebrate the ones you do?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I'm a JW. We dont celebrate because of its pagan origin. We do give gifts throughout the year. If i see something my sister or a friend would like, i'll buy it for her and i even wrap it up, i just dont wait until the end of the year. a couple of months ago we bought our dd a laptop and wrapped that up and gave it to her because we wanted to give it to her, no particular reason. It works for us.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Jehovah's Witnesses don't

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• There are Christians who don't celebrate because of it's Pagan origins, and/or because December 25th is not Jesus' real birthday. I can understand and respect those reasons.

Other people don't celebrate because it's just not their holiday. Some of my Jewish friends celebrate Christmas because their spouse is Christian, so they do both holidays. Other Jewish friends don't celebrate because there's nothing to celebrate for them, they already had their celebrations and gift-giving. There are so many reasons people don't celebrate, and it's not my place to judge.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I don't celebrate Christmas, because I have no reason to. I'm not Christian, I have my own Holiday. I do however participate in Christmas with my DH who is Christian and do the gift thing with him. However if it weren't for him I would not. My Solstice celebration takes place just 4 days prior to Christmas and comes with all the good stuff that Christmas does, plus, it has meaning to me, which Christmas does not.

In answer to your "what religion" and "why" question. There are a number of Christian sects which do not generally do Christmas, most notably Jehovah's Witnesses. They do not celebrate ANY Holiday which can be linked to Pagan traditions - including Christmas. They do this because the bible commands them to keep separate from the world, and they take that literally by refusing to alter "worldly" traditions to fit their beliefs, instead they prefer to celebrate family, God & their faith every day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My dh wouldn't celebrate Christmas if it weren't for me and the kids. He didn't grow up celebrating. He has no religious tie to it and no childhood nostalgia for it. He goes along with it because it's my family tradition, but if it weren't for me he wouldn't care one way or another.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• and yet they wonder around the streets carolling?? why don't they?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• To put it in to a context.

religion isn't a word that is from the bible except for the frugal reference to when people are ''acting'' or behaving a certain way to get attention. Like in a scripture it says some people act religious and pious to gain attention from others for the sheer way it makes them puffed up or look bigger in eyes of others, meaning if it means nothing to you but you are doing it for approval or going with the crowd, more than religion is belief.

Belief is much better than religion. Prayer much better than sacrifice. and obedience is better than sacrifice.
    Also keep the mind, that no one person is perfect and only God and Jesus are these, we are made forgiven because we want to be. NOT by force.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:52 PM on Dec. 25, 2010