Do you keep stuff you dont like just out of respect for the person who got it for you?

Year after year my DHs family gives us home decor for christmas. Like curtains, comforters, pictures, frames quotations, candle holders, etc. Most of the stuff they give us is not the style of our house and wouldnt look good anywhere. Every time they come over they ask how come the stuff they got us is not around on the walls and stuff. what do I say?? Do you put the stuff up just to make them happy?
and in general if you dont like a gift do you keep it or maybe give it away after a while?

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 5:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• If I don't like it, it gets returned or regifted..
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Most of my family knows that if I don't like it, it doesn't get used. I used to lie about it, but the more I did, the more ugly stuff I got. *shudder*

I have a few that have no clue what good taste is that still try to give us ugly stuff but they never come for a visit. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I return the stuff. Just the thought of having to put up with ugly stuff so that they aren't upset is just too much. I'd rather bite the bullet and tell them it wasn't to our liking. Perhaps next time they'll think twice about getting household stuff.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Well, you could just say if they ask where it is say well we weren't decorating that way right now so I thought I would get something that would go with what we had already started I am so sorry if that upset you I thought maybe you might agree other then being stuffed in a closet.
    I wouldn't use it either but then none of our family would ask why we don't have it up. Or I might say I was saving it for future use.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• yes, I am like that. I feel bad if i get rid of it. I did that with one of ds's onesies once. he outgrew it and my sil (who gave us that onesie one christmas) had a yard sale, I gave her some of my stuff to sell. She saw the onesie and made me feel bad "oh....I gave you that onesie". Since then I feel bad.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I usually return them, those people that are close enough to visit are pretty good at getting something I would use and those that aren't I hardly ever see so it doesn't matter that much because they'll never know.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2010