Atheist Moms: Was there a defining moment or time of your life that you "became" atheist or has it been your point of view for as long as you can remember?

manna1qd

Asked by manna1qd at 6:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised in a Christian family, but from as far back as I can remember, I couldn't understand how anyone could believe in any of it. I remember being in Sunday school when I was a little little girl, drilling my Sunday school teacher on dinosaurs and creation and all of that, because I just couldn't believe it. I got kicked out of confirmation classes when I was I think 12 for telling the pastor that I didn't believe in a god, and my mother just found me another church to confirm me at. When I was 14, I moved in with my Catholic stepmom and my father. They let me be who I am, and it was a big weight off my shoulders. It wasn't until I was grown and out of the house that I felt comfortable using the dreaded "A" word, even though I've been an atheist all along. As the years have gone on though, I am a much happier person now that I am able to just say who I am and have always been.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• There were several points in time that lead up to it. Not one big defining one. I was a christian for about 19 years before I stopped believing. The final straw so to speak was when my second born son was diagnosed with autism. But like I said there was so much more that lead up to it. I am happier now than I've ever been since I found my own power. And it doesn't make me any less spiritual either.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• As a young child I could never believe in the easter bunny or santa clause. I always found it hard to believe in things that don't make logical sense or cannot be supported by science.

I don't disrespect religion, if you were to believe in God then I believe that you believe and I will leave it at that.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 9:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My parents aren't atheist, but I was brought up without religion. There was never a defining moment for me. I've just always leaned towards atheism, even as a child.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 11:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes... I was trying to become a "born again Christian" and was going to Bible study, etc. The leader/teacher of our little group was feeding me some BS about how "God doesn't want you to listen to rock music" and "Dogs and Cats can't go to heaven b/c they don't have souls." I was pissed! Plus, I just believe in Science... if someone could PROVE to me that there was really a God (OK, I'm not totally 100% convinced there isn't) and I didn't have to go off of blind Faith, I'd be more likely to accept religion in my life.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I wasn't raised to be extremely religious, but my family believed in God and read the Bible. Then as a teenager I really wanted to believe it and fit in at church, so I started attending more on my own. When I went to college I started questioning more things that hadn't made sense to me before, and I learned more about history & science that solidified my doubt. I called myself agnostic then, because I was afraid of the reprocussions. Now I look back and think I have been atheist since about the age of 20.
    Anna_2250

Answer by Anna_2250 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I watched Zeitgiest and it changed everything for me. I began to doubt that Christianity was an original religion. I did some research and after 20 years of blind faith my eyes were opened to the truth. I now don't know how I ever came to believe it all. I feel it should have ended with santa and the easter bunny.
    Dorfsmith

Answer by Dorfsmith at 10:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was always an atheist, however the defining moment in which I stopped trying to pretend to believe in a higher power (let's face it I haven't been a "christian" sine I was 11) came when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I made the decision to stop caring what other people thought and take matters into my own hands to make things happen.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I'm not atheist anymore but I was up until a little over a year. I can't say there was a defining moment, I think it was more of I had questions and no answers at the time and I just went with that. I must say though, becoming a believer...there definately was a defining moment and I remember it as if it where yesterday.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2008