who here works a night shift?

what do you like best? what do you not like about it? and what type of job do you have?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I just quit a job and took a job I can barely do because I could not work a night shift at that job ( the prior job) and that was the only way I could get full time hours. Even then it would not be a garunateed hours because it is work that is dependant on people keeping their appts and there is alot of cancelling with nothing to take its place. I dont know what i am going to do now!!!! Its a mess; from what I see
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 7:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Now I am supposed to be a manger of a claening crew; thats what I was hired for and I seem to be doing ALL of there work and having a manger over me. I dont work nights
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 7:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• The only night shift job I had was working as the switchboard operator at the hospital - that was 15 years ago. It was really boring, but I did read a lot.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I dont like it at all because i get to see my son about 20 minutes everyday. I am a aircraft machinist. I took the job because it was the only thing out there and I needed one. The company is good and I like that side of it just have to work my way up to 1st shift. I work from 130 to 12am
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I waitress 2 nights a week. Even though I don't go to work until 5pm, I'm preparing for it all day. Making sure there something easy in the house for my husband to make for dinner for the kids. Mentally getting ready to deal with all those customers. And so on. The good part about working 2 nights a week is that it's only 2 nights a week. 2 consecutive nights. So I look forward to the other 5 nights I am off.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's the sleeping during the day that can be very difficult, especially if you have a family. The world operates during the day and sleeps at night, and few get the concept that if you work all night, you have to use part of your day to sleep! I worked the overnight for 10 years and unless you have actually worked those hours, you have no idea what it is like. I still have sleep related issues some 12 years after having worked the night shift-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't, but my husband has for the last three years. Our family follows his schedule for now.I prefer being up at night. I like how the grocery store is mostly empty, and traffic isn't bad.

The thing I don't like is when we visit family or vice versa. Then we have to switch our schedule up to match theirs and it's sometimes very hard to do.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I work nights, but I am in the fortunate position that I can set my own hours. So I choose to work nights. I just feel more alert and awake at night and to be honest i sleep better during the day. Now I dont have little ones in the house anymore so that helps - it is just me and my 3 doggies sleeping the day away whilst hubby and dd are at work and school respectively
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 5:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I work 12 hour shifts (7p-7a) as a nurse in a busy emergency room. I only work 2 nights a week making me part-time. Right now I only work Fri & Sat nights so I don't have to pay for daycare and I can spend time with my family during the week. It's tiring work but I love it. It's a win-win situation.
    MilianO

Answer by MilianO at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010