how did you get your child to stop sucking their thumb

poorrosie

Asked by poorrosie at 8:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dad says I tripped with my thumb in my mouth causing a cut in my lip. My mouth was so sore, I quit sucking my thumb ha ha!
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Granniks bitter apple. I know it sounds bad, but it's an all natural spray we used on my puppy so he wouldn't chew. It worked really fast. And hell, it's better than constant cases of impetigo!

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Mine didn't but I sucked my thumb until I got braces in 6th grade and cut open my thumb. I didn't even know I was still sucking my thumb until that and my mom told me that when I was sick or overtired she would see me sucking my thumb in my sleep. Your child will stop when they are ready and not a moment before. It is a comfort and self soothing thing, let it be.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• my 5 month old has been sucking her thumb for 2 months!!!! i keep trying to just take it out once i see it and sometimes i'll replace it with a pacifier. she sucks her thumb while she's eating a bottle, she'll sneak it in her mouth when i'm not looking. i hope this doesn't continue as long as her father sucked his fingers. he sucked them til he was 12
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I think this would better in general parenting
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• When they are ready my boy sucked his thumb into his teens, only when over tired, he did not even know he did it but I saw it while he is sleeping. I sucked my thumb until I was about 13.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• my parents bought this nail polish that when you tasted it tasted horrible an every time i put my thumb in my mouth i would taste it and be like ewwww so after a week i stoped ( i dnt no if they sel it anymore)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010