Swollen Red & Sore breast on week old...

Okay, so I know it's common for babies to have swollen breasts, that doesn't bother me. BUT, my daughter was a week old yesterday, today she woke up with one of her breasts RED and it seems to be sore. She's also gone from eating nearly constantly and sleeping for about 4 hours at a time (which she has done since birth) to Sleeping almost steadily since about 2am last night. I keep waking her up to eat every 3 hours or so, but beyond that she just wants to sleep.

Again, I know newborns sleep A LOT, but to go from 4 hour "naps" to trying to sleep for 18hours straight worries me. She doesn't have a fever and she's not vomiting, but she pooped 5 times today while sleeping - which is also odd for her.

Being Christmas the Peds isn't in their office, but I'm starting to worry because this just doesn't seem right. I looked up the swollen breasts on WebMD and this is what it said...

"In the rare case when the breasts look infected (swollen, red, tender, or have a discharge) and the baby has a fever, call your pediatric provider to check if an infection has set in."

Now, there is no discharge, and no fever, but swollen, red & tender it is...
Should I worry? Should I call the peds on Monday or take her to the ER? Or should I just leave it be and it will get better on it's own?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go to the ER if for nothing else other than peace of mind. If it's infected you can start treatment and if not you will be able to sleep without being too concerned. Congrats BTW I knew you were pregnant was not aware you delivered.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Oh and just because the pedi office is closed does not mean someone isn't on call. Give them a call and see if you can get them to call you back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Our peds is a single practice, if you call on "off hours" they have a recording that says "We are not available right now. If you have an emergency please go to the ER. If you have questions for the nurse you can call back between (and then it gives hours) or wait until our office is open." That's it, no one is on call. And of course no one ever gets sick through normal business hours. We go back on Wed anyways for her checkup, but I'm worried if there is some kind of infection it could get worse by then. My DH wants to wait til tomorrow to see if it looks better... She's just so tiny I feel guilty that she's not comfortable...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Little girl?? Little girls get like that due to the hormone surges in their systems. Mom's hormones are still running through their system. Both my baby girls had something similar to what you are talking about. I took them to the ped and she wasn't too alarmed with it. She just told me if there is fever and discharge to come back. It went away on it's own. Both times.

The sleeping thing doesn't seem too wierd to me. Mine did stuff like that too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I knew the hormones would/could cause the swelling, so that in itself didn't worry me. Same with the vaginal discharge, I knew that was normal... BUT, the bright redness and the fact that she winces when I touch it is what worried me. But no fever, no discharge, so I wasn't sure... I have always had boys before, and they never had this issue...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Yeah, it can smart a little! It's like how your boobs hurt when they are engorged. They are probably just sensetive. But I know what you mean! Everything is scary lookin on a newborn!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• If it causes her pain take her in. Some people do not get fevers with infections. I don't. I actually had mastitis for over 2 weeks because no one checked for it since I never broke a fever. My kids don't get fevers with ear infections either. It is not to uncommon. My ped told me some people just are not the type to run a fever. So if it is sore and her sleep pattern has changed take her in. It may be nothing but either way you will feel better knowing.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 25, 2010