HELP!! I am trying to make up powder formula ahead and something happened!!!

I am almost sure I dumped in 4 - 8 oz bottles of water and 16 scoops of formula... i poured 4 bottles of 7 oz an i have an 8 oz bottle left i should only have 4 oz left! what happened? do i add 2 more scoops???? please help

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 8:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I wouldn't add more formula if you are pretty certain you calculated right- which it sounds like you did. Adding formula to the water is going to give the illusion that you have more water than you started out with because it adds volume (like sitting in the bathtub, the water appears higher when you are in the tub, but when you get out it is lower again). Just make the bottles without adding more formula or water. You're good.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Sorry! I used the ready made formula. Why don't u use that instead?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I was on ready made.. I hate powder but doc wanted to see if she didn't have loose bowls on the powder. She is really runny on the ready made similac so he wants me to try powder but I HATE IT.... this is my 2nd child and i have never used powder b4..
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Well powder can be more cost efficient for someone on a budget but being that I am using a toddler formula now which only comes in powder when i fill up 7 ounce of water once i add the powder its more like 8- 8 1/2 ounces so what you are saying makes perfect sense. If you know you did it right leave it as is.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Just make the bottles one at a time. It's a lot easier. Our 5mo takes 6oz bottles right now so we put in 6oz of water into the bottle, put in 3 scoops, put the nipple on and shake. It only takes a few seconds. And once the formula is in it looks like there is more than 6oz in there.
    Always remember to measure the water first then put the formula into the water, not the other way around.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• you can add more if you like...you dont have to make it EXACTLY every time...i always made mine a bit stronger because i had super skinny babies...an extra scoop or two (if it is actually extra) wont hurt, so go ahead and add it.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:17 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• well you added voulme (the powder) to the water... so it will increase the total amount you have... which is probably what you are seeing.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2010