Will it be hard at first for a newborn to see their daddy for the first time

mommysgirl08

Asked by mommysgirl08 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope not at all. The baby dosnt see great at first to begin with. But the people who are around the newborn the most and talk to the baby will have the head start at the bonding process.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The baby knows his voice just like he knows yours. They've done studies on it and the baby reacts differently (better and more relaxed) to the mom and dads voice. :)
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 12:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It takes a while for a newborns eyesight to adjust and really start seeing people. They will recognize the mother because they recognize the voice and the heartbeat. If you and the father were around each other enough and talking then the baby will recognize the father instantly
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It's hard for them to see anyone in the beginning, but supposedly the more contrast your face has, the better. For instance, a baby can see better if you have darker features on lighter skin. That's why so many of the toys made for itty bitty babies are black and white.

This definitely doesn't mean they won't bond, though! If he's been around during your pregnancy, Baby will know that voice.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, babies can bond with their father just as easily as their mother. Good example would be my family. My husband was deployed or in training for my entire pregnancy (from a week after conception) and the first six months of our son's life. After I had my son I would have the phone on speaker anytime his dad called even if he was sleep. I also had a big headshot of him up in the room and would point at it when we spoke. The first time they met (son was 6mo) my son looked kind of confused, looked from my hubby to the picture, and had a huge smile on his face. Within a couple of days he was saying dada only to my husband.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 3:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I asked my stepsister this same question last night (she has two daughters). She said her girls definitely recognized their dad, but that their bond was 'different' from the bond she had with them. They were more attached to her for a looong time, simply because she was their mom.

I honestly think that if your baby's dad has been around you for the entire pregnancy that's a step in the right direction. The baby may be a little weirded out at first only because they don't know their dad's smell or heartbeat, only his voice. That's why some babies prefer to be attached to their mom's hips =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2008