My 5 week old has had Diarrhea for around 2 weeks.

I am breast feeding and he has had diarrhea for 2 weeks atleast. Every single Diaper is diarrhea and he has the worst rash because of it! I am taking him to the doctor on monday. My question is...Is it possiable for breast milk to cause this problem or do you think its something else? He is such a good baby. And only cries when he wants to eat. So he is not in ppain or anything..But, the diarrhea is starting to make me worry! Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is only five weeks and he is breastfeeding, his stools should be loose and yellowy. It may not be diarrhea. If you are sure it IS diarrhea, it could be something YOU are eating? Until you see the doc, I would just be sure to keep his diaper area clean, and it wouldn't hurt to apply diaper cream after each bowel movement and cleansing. Good luck! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• See the doctor. If it is diarrhea, you don't want to let that go too long, (two weeks is already too long not to see a doctor) diarrhea can result in dehydration which can be very serious in babies. Please take your baby to the doctor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:12 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Why did you wait two weeks? No offense but that's a long time. If you can't get to the doctor by tomorrow, I'd go to an urgent care or ER. Dehydration is dangerous and deadly with infants.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• If it is truly diarreha, then why have you waited for 2 weeks to do anything about it? That is way too long to wait. Take that baby to the ER or urgent care before he gets dehydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I'm guessing she waited because breastfed babies often have loose stool, but is now concerned becausethere is also a rash. Odds are that the breastmilk is, in fact, causing the loose stool and it's possible that that is in turn causing the rash. If you are concerned that it is the milk, then you should probably try cutting dairy out first since that is usually the culprit. In the meantime, check him for dehydration - is the soft spot on his head sunken in? do his eyes have a sunken appearance? does he still have a fair amount of wet diapers? If your answers are no, no, yes, it is probably not diarrhea. Good luck!
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 11:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2010