My newborn (8-day old) boy will not sleep unless held in our arms. Ideas?

He falls asleep in my or my husband's arms but when put down to his bassinet he wakes up within minutes and cries until he's picked up. We need ideas to try! Thank you

debbiemn1979

Asked by debbiemn1979 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby swing. my daughter was like that too.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Do you swaddle him?
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 10:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I used to warm his blanket in the dryer, then wrap him up to put him down, but I have to admit, mostly we held our babies a lot.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• – collapse
    Put him down and let him cry for no more than 15 minutes. He has to learn to put himself to sleep. It is hard, but crying will not hurt him. Make sure there is no other reason for him crying first. There is nothing wrong with holding and rocking a baby; cuddling a baby is the best but they do have to learn to put themselves to sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• whats wrong with holding him? i slept with both my boys in my arms in a recliner for the first 3-6 months of their lifes. mostly ebcasue they were BFing and ate every hour but once it was time to move them to their beds we had no problems.. you gotta do whats best for you. what gets you the most sleep!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Swaddling....i dont know we co sleep....and to pre poster ....How are you gonna let an 8 day old baby cry it out?!?!
    jeni0323

Answer by jeni0323 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Perhaps his tummy hurts.....hold him with his belly on your palm and pat his back and see if he is gassy....he might need some noise in the room too....do you have a fan?
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• LOL-- that reminds me of my son. He not only wanted to be held all the time, but he also wanted to be elevated. As soon as you tried to sit down, he'd start crying!! Your son is 8 days old, and every sensation is new. There is nothing wrong with holding him, securing him, and making him feel safe and loved at this age. The best thing you can do is go with the flow-- if your baby wants to sleep upright in your arms, so be it. If he's great sleeping in his crib, that's great too.

We ended up sleeping with our son in a recliner, and took shifts. He did wake me up every couple of hours to nurse the baby, and bottle feed breast milk for one 4 hour shift so I could get some decent sleep. We just let our son guide us as to how he liked things, and it has worked out. We did do the sleep training at 9 months (very hard emotionally), but at this age-- baby rules and parents drool!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• He's 8 days old. Hold him. My first was the same way... they outgrow it. Get a sling, it will be *very* valuable in the next 6+ months. Read up on safe co-sleeping... it will save your sanity.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:03 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• We always continued to put our babies down, they would wake up and cry, we would hold them long enough to calm them down and then lay them back down (awake), we would let them fuss for no more than a few minutes, calm them back down, and start the cycle again. We never held them until they fell asleep, all 5 learned to soothe themselves to sleep very early, slept through the night early, and I've had very few sleep problems with them.

Answer by missanc at 7:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2010