Have you ever?

Have you ever bought a good car, only to find out, it really is a lemon? I thought that I was getting a reliable car for a fair price. I couldn't have been more wrong in my life. It turns out that the car I bought is worth half of what I bought it for. It turns out, motormounts are missing, leaky gasket, belts need to be replaced, had to replace tires and the most recent problem is the battery won't take a charge. It is so bad, I took it to a repair shop and the mechanic told me that there was nothing he can do bc he couldn't figure out what engin is in it. Wow, I bought a car that sits in my driveway, taking up space. Does anyone have any helpful advice on what I should do about this car? Thank you for reading ladies.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 10:43 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• The law varies from state to state- but you'll find that most states have a buyers remorse which allows you to return the item for any reason for a full refund within 3 days. Some states that law goes longer- so look it up.

There is also the lemon law that will apply and you will want to look that up as well to see what that is in your state. I know that it is especially tough on car dealerships, but you're going to have a harder time getting your money back from a private party. Though sometimes just a little pressure can get them to give you your money back.

Also you'll be more likely to get your money back if you can prove that the seller knew of the problems before selling you the car and did not inform you of them.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Hopefully you can fight it though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Nope. I have too many people in my family that know about cars. I always do a Kelly Blue Book before I buy a car, I take it for a test drive and have one of the mechanics I know look at it. I also only go to places that I know and trust. I don't think there is anything you can do about it though. You can try and file a suit in civil court to recoup the money you spent on the repairs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Only once. I didn't get it checked out before I bought it because I bought it from a family member. Could you take it to someone else to see if they could figure out what to do? Also, how long ago did you buy it? You should considering checking out the lemon laws for your state.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I did with my second car, but it was a 1983 Mercury Lynx..Need I say more? Total money pit. But I was 19 and had wheels and my dad paid for everything. Now I feel bad about it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:55 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• LEMON LAWS. They are there to protect you. Find out and enforce them. Be tough.
    ferrellmt

Answer by ferrellmt at 1:12 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yes, lemon laws are meant to protect you ... if you bought your car from a dealer. If you bought the car from a private individual, you are pretty much out of luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It sounds like you didn't do a lot of research. Lesson learned!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Lemon Law protects you.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 7:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• There is such a thing as a lemon law. Do some research. I'm sure after you find out how the law works you'll know what to do next.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2010