Croup??

My daughter got the croup just before x-mas, that figures...lol. Anyway, what helps them out? The shower thing didn't work, anbd its like 19 degrees out. Any suggestions??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Prop them up so they're sleeping more sitting than laying down. A recliner is great for this, or you can just add extra pillows.

Maybe a cool mist vaporizer? The doctors said for DS last year that cool is better, but the shower thing worked for us, so yeah, not sure if the cool will work or not fo ryou.
    Anonymous

• Not sure how old your daughter is, but bundle her up and go outside just for a few minutes for the cold air.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 11:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• I was told to take them out into the cold that for some reason it helps. What I did was opened the window and let the cold air hit them. Hope your little one feels better soon.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• take her outside bundle her up the cold air will help her alot along with steam rooms/bathroom for 15 mins every couple hours and vaporizer with plain water
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 11:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Thank u all for the advice, and I found a way so that if my daughter started coughing bad, I took her into the steamy bathroom that I also put ther vicks u get and plug them in. My bathroom is really small and the doesn't take long to steam it up, then at the same time was taking a bath. Sleeping like a baby......lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:49 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Going out in the cold for a couple minutes always helped when we were babies.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have also heard that getting some cold air helps. Never dealt with croup though.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When my middle had croup we would do the steam thing in the bathroom, a few times we would bundle him up and take him out into the night air and that seemed to help. When it was really bad he went to the ER and they gave him breathing treatments.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010