Do you live in a mobile home?

What are the pro's and con's? Why does living in a mobile home have such a bad rep? I consider this could be great for me> Security> because I could buy it cash, and then save up for a home, but have the security that if for any reason I could not pay off my seconds home mortgage, I could have a place for DS and I to live. So, I am trying to understand the negative stigma.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I personally never would.

1. They're not safe during tornados
    2. Although they've been improving the exterior appearance, they still have those ugly, low slope rooflines that shout, "I am a mobile home!" and lower property values.
    3. They are built with especially unhealthy, toxic materials that burn fast.
    4. Unlike stick construction which can be repaired pretty much endlessly, mobile homes are very hard to work on.
    5. Poor insulation.
    6. Low resale value.
    7. Poor resistance to natural forces.
    8. Can't put one on a city lot.
    9. Pretty much restricted to "trailer parks", or your own land.
    10. The sales of these are often controlled by shady characters. Little groups of bankers, park owners and sales lot owners get together and pull all the nasty tricks out there
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Pros - cheaper, can be relocated easily.

Cons - you usually don't own the land it's on, have to rent it, and can be evicted from it on the whim of your landlord - they are easy to relocate, but they are also expensive to relocate. They usually depreciate in value, like a car, rather than appreciate like a real house or condo would. Because they're cheaper, and so many in a small area, you have increased chances of having bad neighbors (just like an apartment). Very little storage, and cramped rooms unless you get a double wide, at which point, might as well look at condos. And they're more dangerous than a house - if you live anywhere tornado/hurricane prone, they aren't safe for it, and depending how they're made, you may not be able to get cell reception inside. Zoning restrictions - some towns don't allow them at all and some have very strict rules about them.

(they build them here, less stigma, but still all the cons)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Terrible re-sale value, not safe in bad weather (tornados are attracted to the static electricity), no storage space, not transportable, often can't get a loan for them, pay taxes on them yearly, like you do on a car. I lived in one early in married life, would never again.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• They might be great Mama, but how many encounters of fires or natural disasters have you came across? Are you aware of how quickly a mobile home burns once it's lit on fire? It only takes once to lose everything in your home, and possibly your life.
    How risky is your current trailer park?
    Have you ever tried to sell one? If so, how much money did you lose or gain versus the price you paid for it?
    How many trailer parks are in your area, and how much variety did you have when choosing the one you picked out?
    Have you ever had to get maintenance done on yours? If so, was it a fairly easy task or did you have to hire someone?

I grew up in tornado valley, and the really shitty thing about my step-dad having a mobile home (which was VERY nice and VERY new) was that during tornado season if we had a warning, we had to go hide in the canyon during the rain because our mobile home wasn't as safe as a normal home.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i live in a mobile home, all i have owned actually. i don't know what most of things these people are talking about, but mine have always been wonderful! but again, it depends on the year, and what has to be done with it. i think owning a trailer is easier, b/c theyre easier to sell if u just want to move. and where i live we pay lot rent which includes, water, trash pick up, and plowing. we don't pay taxes, well, we do, but it is in the lot rent. true, we don't own our own land, but if something goes wrong on the land, we are not responsible for it. i also like living here b/c there are other kids in the park that my son can play with, and we don't have to go very far. and it depends on the trailer park you live in. the one we are in now isn't as nice as the one we were in about 7 months ago, but the trailer is alot newer and nicer. so it all depends on what you want. if you want cheap living to save for a home, its great!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2010