How long should I expecct to spend in jail?

I have 4 days left of community service which translates to 2 days in jail. I had to wait 2 years to be able to book community service dates because my county is that backed up. I have to serve my time this week. They don't let you work when you're pregnant. I am 16 weeks pregnant and not showing yet (unless you know it's not just fat). I have a friend who was booked and released after 4 hours when she had 3 days to serve. I am terrified. It is for a DUI I got over two years ago. I had three beers in four hours and still managed to blow over the limit... needless to say, I don't drink anymore. Does anyone know what I should expect? Has anyone had to do this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• It totally depends on your county, the jail space, if you have any priors, etc. But I imagine you either 1. Wont go to jail or 2. Will be let out after a few hours, at tops a few days.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• With jail over crowding you'll probably be processed in then processed out. I wouldn't sweat it. Well, it's jail, so obviously you'll worry, but I doubt you'll spend much time there at all.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Must you disclose that you're pregnant? I can't imagine that the community service is so strenuous that you could possibly miscarry at 16 weeks.

Talk to your county about possibly finding independent volunteer and community service activities. Speak with the prosecutor in charge. Also, if this was your first offense, couldn't you have done a deferred prosecution?

As for jail, and what it's like.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:18 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree with Razelda. It's more a technicality than an actual sentence in most cases. I doubt you'll even see general population.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:18 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Busimommi, it all depends on the type of community service she gets. One friend I had did desk work for the Salvation Army. Another was paving roads. Both were women.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• To Busi.. I wanted to... and I thought about it.... but I didn't want to risk the posibility of miscarrying. Overheating can cause that.. I was working in 100-110 degree weather out in the blasting sun.... on top of the HORRIBLE morning sickness and other symptoms, it just was not an option. And as Samantha said, it completely depends on the type of community service. I do not have the option of "easy" or indoor labor... trust me... I've looked into it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• id imagine you would only be there a few hours to maybe 24 at the most. My husband got a DUI 2years ago and only spent 24hours in jail for it. Of course it depends on your state and country but id imagine you wont be there long they have bigger issues to deal with.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It isn't that bad it's just more scary for the unknown. Do you live in a big city or small town? For our county they don't cut you much slack here esp for the women cuz there is usually room in the womens.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:07 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Our jails have been over crowded for years.... I live in a very large city. That's why I am pretty sure I will be released,but I don't want to count on it...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Never been a moron who drove drunk so I have no idea. I am sure it isn't fun.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2010