WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE WAY MY SON ACTS?

ALMOST EVERY TIME ME AND MY SON ARE IN THE STORE OR IN CHURCH HE STARTS TO YELL. THEN WHEN WE ARE BY TE TOYS OR DVD'S AND HE DONT GET WHAT HE WANTS HE THROWS A FIT. HE STARTS TO YELL AND KICK AND SCREAM. I HAVE SPANKED HIS BUTT IT DOESNT DO ANY GOOD. THEN WHEN HEIS ACTING LIKE THAT THERE IS ALWAYS PEOPLE THAT JUST LOOKS AT US. I DONT KNOW IF ITS JUST TERRIBLE TWO'S OR WHAT. ANY ADVICE?

dimples0626

Asked by dimples0626 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter only tried throwing real fits 3 times in public. Each time I took her to the bathroom and we sat there until she calmed down. Sort of like time out. THat's about all I can think to tell you. Sorry.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 1:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My first piece of advice to you is take out how other peoples kids act or acted and what everyone around you is thinking. Letting yourself get frustrated by those things only makes the situation harder to deal with. At this age kids are testing their limits and seeing how far they can push the parent until they get what they want. When he starts acting up take him out of the store, go sit in your car a bathroom or just outside until he calms down. If he refuses then go home and try shopping another day. Teaching him that his temper tantrums won't get him his way is the only thing you can really do to try and break them. Good lucki
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son started acting like this, I feel your pain! What I do now is try to make sure he is rested and fed before we go out. Then, I've started really working on him at home so that he knows that I am not going to stand for tantrums and yelling. Then I make sure I have either a toy or snack that I know is going to keep him entertained. And finally, as we are walking past toys that I know are going to catch his attention I try to talk him through it as in "Wow, that is a neat toy, but this is neat too, and now look at this book!" (sounds kinda weird, but it works for us.) I have also realized that he really does understand what I am saying, so I say "you can look at that toy but we are NOT going to buy it." That works too. Good luck!
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My mom used this approach with me and my sister, and I use this with my niece and my son. Whenever they start throwing a fit at the store or even at home, I just ignore them. Most of the time it's a method to get attention, and if you ignore them most of the time they will learn to quit. But then again this might not work for you.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter tries this every now and then. She likes to walk and push the cart, but then thinks it is ok to wander off. I then have to put her in the cart and she gets mad and screams and carries on. Don't give in. Let them know it is not okay and they are upsetting you. When people look your direction tease and ask if they would like a 2 year old. Others have kids and most if not all have been through what you are. Almost everyone I ask if they want a 2 year old tell me no thanks mine are grown or something to that sort. Basically I am saying don't stress about other peoples thoughts. As for someone saying leave the store, I don't agree. You are giving in to their tantrum. Good luck.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 2:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• when my kids done this,i ignored it,using timeout in front of everyone who can see will make them rethink there actions,i only ever used this 6x in public and it worked for me,it kinda embaress them,as long as there safe then you have nothing to worry about.dont worry what other people think just aproach it calmly,i just said to my kids if they dont calm down i wont talk to you or look at you untill you stop yelling or whatever there demanding into at the time,they soon learned it took them only 2 weeks to learn
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If my kids do this I leave the cart, tell an associate that I left it there, and leave the store. We go straight home, and I go back to the store at another time when their dad can stay at home with the one that threw the fit and the others get to go to the store with mommy. They each have only done it once.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Maybe make fun of him or mimick him??
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008