Do you have a special needs child?

dreamingmind

Asked by dreamingmind at 3:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Health

• I suppose so. I frequently forget, lol. My daughter has low muscle tone which has lead to developmental delays. She started in therapy at 10 months, at which point she wasn't solid at a 0-2 month level. Currently she's almost five and functions as about a three and a half year old, she's in therapy twice and week and a special needs preschool four days a week. She's awesome. = )
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:28 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My daughter has a rare mitochondrial disorder called Leighs Disease. As a result, she has quite a few special needs, and it increases. She was healthy up until Feb of this year. Long story short, we spent 6 weeks at Riley Childrens Hospital and didn't know why she had the seizure that caused it. In June, we found out the culprit. Since then she has stopped smiling, talking, playing, walking, and we are scheduled for surgery to place a Gtube because now she can no longer eat safely. We now have to call in an in home nurse. She also has therapy. A physical, developmental, occupational, and speech therapist come once a week each.
    Mamapanda

Answer by Mamapanda at 6:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My dd is 5 and has mild aspergers syndrome....and for a while...I was devastated...until one day, while crying in her Dr's office talking to her wonderful DR.... when the Dr said she thought she herself was mildly aspergers and that is why med school was so easy for her ( some aspergers kids memorize very easily) A light turned on in my head that said....."my dd could be a DR ONE DAY???!!!!???!!!

From that day on I looked at it as a gift wrapped in unusual paper...lol. My dd memorizes huge amounts of info at the drop of a hat....she can do whatever she chooses to do in this life!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Technically, my son is considered to have special needs. But like the first lady, I often forget. He has ADHD and one doctor says Asperger's, another says ODD. He is smart and funny and sweet. I actually consider myself lucky because I know how much worse it can be.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:49 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• YES MY YOUNGEST HE IS 15 AND MY OLDER SON HAS HAD OVER 400 BRAIN SURGERIES IN THE PAST MOSTLY THROUGH BHIS TEEN AGE YEARS DUE TO HIS MEDICAL CONDITION HE IS OKAY NOW IN COLLEGE MY KIDS ARE GREAT KIDS VERY HELPFUL HAVE LEARNED COMPASSION AND EMPATHY FOR MY OLDER SON SO SICK BEFORE MY OLDEST IS MY RIGHT HAND SINCE i HAD TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT AND AM STILL RECOVERING MY KIDS NEVER CAUSE ME ANY GRIEF THEY ARE GREAT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH TOGETHER ALL OF US MY HUSBAND OF 25 YEARS AND MY KIDS ERIC AND JOEY BUT i AM BLESSED DEPITE ALL OUR TRIALS PARY MY SON WILL NOT HAVE TO HAVE ANY MORE OPERATIONS WITH IS CONDITION YOU NEVER KNOW PRAISE GOD!!!!
    dtdori

Answer by dtdori at 3:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have 3. My oldest was just Dx with Jacobsen's Syndrome, after 13 years and 4 neurologists. My middle kiddo has ADHD with Aspbergers and my youngest was recently Dx with ADHD. All of my kids are special needs. I didn't want to see that my daughter was ADHD. It was hard enough with 2 out of 3 being special needs. I did everything I was supposed to do when pregnant.
    My hubby and I will be genetically tested for the Jacobsen's. There is a small chance it's genetic. I have the need to know. It took a LONG time to find this. We have 2 other kids. What if they have a baby with this? We need to know if it's genetic. It's been hard, really hard.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010