Paranoid?? Over reacting?

Since my daughter came into my life, I keep thinking in the worst case that can go wrong. For example, I would be on a big parking lot, cars everywhere some going real fast. So my mind goes into the worst case scenario that she would escape my hand she could run from me. Then there was a truck that wasn't paying attention and hit her. And now that she has the croup, I am afraid she will have a hard time breathing, or she would stop breathing. When she was n infant, I was also scared that she could end up with SIDS, and stop breathing. I really, really hate these thoughts I get, but I don't know how to stop , and I am driving myself nuts. While I know this can't be common, I even try repeating to myself that it not gonna happen ect. It really don't seem to work with me. Any have a idea? Is this common for 1st time moms? My daughter is 2 yrs old

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe that our fears come out of our sense of love. We love our kids so much that our mind conjures up the worst things that could happen to them because that's what we would never want! But I believe that our kids are God's first and He wouldn't have given them to us if he didn't think we'd do a good job! Calm down and ENJOY your daughter. Let her show YOU how lovely life can be.
    LivinWell11

Answer by LivinWell11 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• actually it is rather common it's called over pertective and every good mother is overpertective of her child because she doesn't want anything to happen to her child but yours may be to extremes just calm down you are doing great and instead of having negetive thoughts fill your mind with positive ones like "im a good mother and i will protect my child and God loves her and will not let anything happen to her". just be confident that you are doing a great job at being a mommy soon as you keep confident thoughts the negative ones will go away it won't be easy but you can do it. I believe in you.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 6:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It will help that you are talking about your fears. Talk to the others that are close to you. You will find that mothers all worry about their kids and this will help you cope.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I'm a worrier too and I always have been - it is just the way I'm wired. But once I had my son, it went to a new level. I love him more than anything in the world & the thought of anything happening to him is too much to bear, so I think it makes some sense - in a very neurotic way.
    I think it depends on how much these worries are running your life and if they are keeping you from letting your daughter grow & learn. What really helped me was talking to other moms & realizing that most mothers have these feelings. If these thoughts are really driving you crazy, consider talking to a professional - it can really help.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I was like that with my dd, and still am to a point. She is 4 and I still get up 6 times a night to check on her.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• actually its normal. You are just planning for the worse case scenario...just in case. You will have a game plan in your head and it will help in the long run . If something were to happen. As long as you don't obsess over it you should be fine. Some people are just thinkers and planners.....its a good thing

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I think of something morbid might happen to me to. I think it is pretty normal. I chalk it up to having fears of dying. My luck, I'll haunt the living. LMAO!

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 8:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I feel better that there are other women who also think thje way I do. And that it isn't all that uncommon. I thought I was going nuts thinking that way, and it isn't something to feel shamed about. Thank u all very much!!!!!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010