Is this turkey safe to eat?

Is this turkey safe to eat?
My christmas turkey ended up having heart in it. My fiance only took the meat on top of the bird. Is it safe to eat?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 4:13 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Call 1-800-Butterball and ask a turkey expert just to be sure.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If you are saying that you cooked the turkey with the heart in it, that is not a problem. The heart itself is very good to eat.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yeah it's fine
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:35 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• As long as the bird was cooked thoroughly, yes, perfectly fine to eat.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• yes it is safe. Lots of people eat the gizzards inside of the bird.....not me though the thought of it turns my stomach. My former MIL used to cook all of that stuff for my former FIL yuck !!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yes, it's just fine. We cooked our giblets in with the turkey for the cat, he loved it. Just toss out whatever giblets happened to be there and enjoy the rest of the bird.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Uh, yeah, why wouldn't it be?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Do you mean you forgot to remove the bag of giblets & etc from inside the cavity? So the plastic melted inside the bird? In that case, I think I'd eat/serve only as much as necessary from the very outside of the bird.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 7:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's safe to eat but I don't cook the giblets as the kids thinks it's disgusting, my dad always cooked them and chopped them into the gravy. Depends what you like but they're good for you. ( unless like mentioned you left them in the plastic bag).
    starflower57

Answer by starflower57 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yeah, it's fine. You could even eat the heart. ICK ICK ICK. It's gross, but you could do it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2010