my three year old son cant talk yet what can i do

i try to teach him but he does not learn fast i think hes confused because my family speaks three languages spanish , portugese ,and english . he nevers hears the same language for along period of time is this part of it or is he slow or is he autistic please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to get a professional evaluation. These should be available even if you do not have insurance to cover it.
    It is so important that you get early diagnosis. If there is something wrong, there likely therapy and help. But early diagnosis and intervention is so important.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• What I know from my experience, that children who hears more than 1 language start to speak later, but able to pick up all the languages they hear. I would choose one and speak and read, sing and so in that one more.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 6:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Talk to a speech therapy specialist. Just ask for advice. If he doesn't speak it can be from loads of things. Can you see more sign of autism on him? If you can than go to your doctor and ask for diagnosis. But if you can't than don't worry about autism. Some children develop faster than others. Try to send him to daycare for some day. It will do miracles:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:54 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My oldest who is 16 now was like that. He would just nod. I found that a lot of the problem was me and that he was shy. He never really had to ask for anything because I knew instantly what he wanted, whether it was a snack, a drink or a program on the tv. He will grow out of it eventually but its going to take a lot of work on your part. Making him use his words and holding a conversation with you. Telling you colors and shapes and counting that sort of thing. Also, have him start asking for things like if you like to color, sit at the table with him but hold all the crayons. When he wants a color have him ask you for it.
    amccrea

Answer by amccrea at 7:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• my son has a form of autism called aspergers syndrome. He was on the other side talked early walked early etc etc. It could be a form of autism. I would talk to his doctor ASAP the sooner you get testing done the better. Go with your gut. Our first pediatrician poo poo'ed all my concerns about our son. The truth of the matter is most doctors do not have the extended education they need to know the signs of autism. He now has a doc who has had the continuing education to know what she is doing and what the signs are ( which can be difficult as no 2 autistic kids are alike they are like snowflakes, beautiful yet each is unique

) Does he go to pre=k?? is he potty trained? is he delayed in any other area? can he handles loud noises? what about change to routine? You may want to go to a autism web site to learn more www.autismspeaks.org is one if you want more message me I have a list. remember your child has rights. G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Talk to your pediatrician. Most states have programs that can help young children with speech delays and/or OT type delays. Here in FL its called Early Steps. My oldest son is bilingual and at 2 was still not speaking any recognizable words so we started speech therapy. By 2 and 1/2 he was speaking. Now at 4 you would never know he had a speech delay at all.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Talk to a specialist for some information, then decide what you want to do. Kids with multiple languages often speak later, so do younger siblings, and children (esp boys) from heavily mathematical/musical families. Or there could be hearing, speech, neurological problems. My son refuses to speak, he won't even try, we know he can make sounds, because when no one is looking he will make sound effects for his toys:baa, moo, vroom, choo-choo. But he will sign all day...sometimes kids are just stubborn.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My grandson didn't talk for a long time because he couldn't hear. My dd took him to a pediatric Ear, Nose & Throat doctor. He found the problem, fixed it and he can hear fine now so he can talk.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would have him evaluated.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Talk to your pediatrician and call your local school district to have your child evaluated (at 3, therapy is school-based). Your school district should have a Child Study Team who's purpose is to evaluate kids for developmental delays, the most common of which is speech. If your child is eligible, the preschool based program will at no cost to you.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2010