why is my 1 month old congested only at night time?

I'm breastfeeding him if that has anything to do with it. He's fine during day time, but once night time comes he sounded like he has something in his nose and throat. I used the blue ball on his nose but nothing is in there. Unused saline but only works alil and he goes back to congested. That's the only thing that keeps him up. any solutions?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 7:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry, I do not have an answer to your question. Do you hold him more during the day because you are up. When you hold him he has his head elevated and helps drainage.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:46 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It may just be the dry heat and the fact that he is laying down at night. Get a humidifier or vaporizer for his room & see if that helps.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• try putting a blanket under the mattress to raise the mattress up just a little bit to get his held elevated. being that it is winter does he have a humidifier in the bedroom?? the dry winter air can dry out sinuses. You may want to check w/ the doctor next time you go just to have him check out
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Try letting him sleep in an elevated position....like in his infant car seat.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Does he sleep somewhere different at night than naps during the day? The winter air could be it as everyone said, but I also thought about maybe the sleep environment has more dust or something? If it's a used mattress or one that was sitting for awhile...or maybe what you washed the sheets in? Anything really... just make a list of allergens and do what you can to combat those and see if it helps. Some people say babies can't have allergies, but I'm calling BS on that one because my mom worked at a daycare and saw it happen ALL the time. Just an idea. If that's not it... then I really have no clue! Good luck though!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010