friendships with different belief systems

Do you think it is possible to have a deep friendship with someone who does not have the same belief system? Do you think their is a wall eventually you come to?
Do you think you have to hide certain things about yourself to them or not talk about certain things b/c you might nt agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I get it.....your key word is DEEP and I would say no to the extent in which you can not fully comprehend and therefore can not share a soul tie. I have many awesome friends of different beliefs that I dearly love and treasure. They have brought great things into my life and I dearly adore them, however, those friends of mine that we share the same beliefs, those are the ones that I have soul ties with, the ones that I am closer to, the ones that I connect on a deeper level to. Doesn't make my friendships with those that have different beliefs unimportant or not special, it's just different and on a different level. It has nothing to do with being open minded or close minded or my beliefs are right and theirs is wrong....it just puts varying friendships on different levels and connects in different depths. Make sense?!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Depends on how open-minded you both are. Ive developed quite a few friendships with people who had different views, because we respected each other enough to not judge or criticize.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think that you can have a great friendship with someone whose beliefs are different then yours but you have to understand that there are going to be moments and times when you won't agree or see eye to eye on something. It's how you handle the situations that make a friendship stronger.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I sure hope not. My husband is Muslim and I am a Christian/Catholic. It works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• All of my friends are Christian and I am a Satanist. I tell them everything and they do the same with me. Religion shouldn't matter in a true friendship and if it does they are not really a friend at all.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 1:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Do you think it is possible to have a deep friendship with someone who does not have the same belief system?Abosuluty!! I have a dear Jewish friend, Catholic friend, Buddhist friends,Christian friend , many, many Pagan friends and Agnostic and Athiest. Do you think their is a wall eventually you come to? Never, it would have happend already, I cabn't even fathom how that would happen. Do you think you have to hide certain things about yourself to them or not talk about certain things b/c you might nt agree. Not at all, we talk about everything , agreeing or not and never disrespected one another or was defensive or offended. HOW AWESOME! I couldn't even imagine having any negitivity between me and my dear friends.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There used to be a rule. Never discuss religion or politics. I know it works here.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have many, but 2 very special ones whom are both Christians and we talk about it all... I am a Pagan..(Wiccan religion, Witch by trade...lol)
    I agree with BubblesB... Religion shouldn't matter if your friendship is solid...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes, I have a wonderful friend she and I are exactly kind of opposite on religion, but I do care and love her as a person. She doesn't down me and I am a JW. She is Pagan. But, we respect each others beliefs. I am sure that if we ever wanted to know about each others beliefs we could share them in a respectful way. Walls, no, she is a human being just like me. She needs support just like me. There have been somethings that no one else could help me with, but she did. How can you show the way you are if you can't be friends?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• cont. > When I had a really bad problem she was there for me and couldn't anyone else be there like she was to help me understand some personal things. I thank her for that because she cared enough to help me. Sometimes we need help from just a human beings kindness and love.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2008