Help!! 4 month old getting up 6-7 times a night!

My 4 month old was a good sleeper only waking once or twice throughout the night to eat and it was like that for a couple of months. Now, for the last couple weeks he has been waking up every hour almost (sometimes he will go two). I will give him a few minutes and see if he is just fussing and will go back to sleep but usually he just gets more and more upset so I have been just feeding him so he will fall back asleep. I know he's not really hungry all the times he is up since he just seems to like to breast feed (sometimes he just sucks)for maybe 10 minutes nad goes back to sleep. And he refuses his pacifier so I've already tried that. He is tired all day from this lack of sleep but is napping just fine and isn't sleeping anymore during the day then he always has. I need ideas and opinions please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is completely normal, babies will go through all different kinds of sleep patterns throughout the first year and sometimes into the second year as well. He needs something which is why he is waking and there really isn't anything you can do but attend to his needs. Good luck, it will get better:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's normal, right around that time. Good luck!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Along with what shanlaree states, while you may think that he isn't hungry, nursing for 10 minutes can be just enough to fill his tummy during a growth spurt and then when it empties, he needs to nurse again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Normal. We co sleep and that really helps us both get more sleep during the feeding frenzy growth spurts. It's good for your milk supply to nurse often and not use pacifiers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If you are sure he isn't hungry, maybe you should try to spread his nighttime feedings out a little. I know it would mean a few sleepless nights while you work on it, but there is a reward - more sleep/less wakings after a few nights. I never had my kids start waking again after they started sleeping through after around 2 months, or they had just learned to self soothe so just went right back to sleep. Does he nurse to sleep? If so then that'ss where you should start - he may just be used to using the breast as a sleep prop so now he needs it to sleep. Try laying him down awake. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Your 4 month is most likely in a growth spurt, they tend to happen every 2-3 months, it is very normal. As someone mentioned a 10 minute munch is all a baby will need to fill their little tummy, as they get older they become much more efficient at getting what they want so you will start to notice feeding times going down but frequency may (not always) stay the same. Also spreading them out may affect your supply so I would not suggest that.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't know if you're open to co sleeping, but if you are, it could be a great help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Maybe its a draft in the room that is making him wake up. Make sure the room is warm or he is warm enough.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 8:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010