My 33 month old will not poop in the potty. He has no problem urinating and does great with that. Looking for suggestions

lmcina

Asked by lmcina at 9:54 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep trying. It is common for them to take longer to start pooping in the potty. Give it time. Before you know he will be using the potty all the time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Do you use stickers? For my DS, he wouldn't do either in his potty. I got a posterboard and cut it in half, then wrote his name on it and got some stickers(I got those metallic star ones). Then I divided it up into 5 weeks, and labeled the days of the week from Sunday to Saturday. Every time he went to the bathroom on the potty, he got a star. Then when he got to the end of the week, he'd get a special sticker (he picked transformers) and then he'd get a little reward (a scoop of ice cream, or a small toy--could take him to the dollar store, or we'd rent a movie, etc). It really helped. With DD, who is 2.5, she will tell us after she goes potty that she needs to be changed, so, we've been giving her a high five for when she tells us, and then tell her to tell us BEFORE she goes potty. And she's gone a few times on the potty because of that.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Just lots of patience. Oh and if you see him looking like he's starting a BM take him down to the toilet and have him sit there while you read him a story.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:07 AM on Dec. 26, 2010