How do I get him to STOP peeing in his pants? He wets the bed EVERY night without fail and is now wetting his pants EVERY day!?!?! What do I do??

My boyfriend's five-year-old son Christian has had a problem with wetting the bed since I've known him, but lately it's gotten out of control. He used to wet the bed maybe three times a week - now he does it EVERY night without fail. He used to have an accident every now and then now he's having an accident EVERY single day.

At night, he wears pull-ups which usually help. He leaks through them every now and then, but they usually save the sheets. If he's wearing a pull-up, he makes no effort to try and use the bathroom whatsoever. He'll just go in the pull-up.

What's worse, he won't tell me when he's peed in his pants. He'll just sit in it until I'm like, "What is that RANK smell??" and discover that it's him. Until I make him change, he just sits in it like he hasn't even noticed.

My boyfriend says he's been to the pediatrician and they were told that there's nothing physically wrong with him. I know that if he's wearing a pull-up, he won't even try to use the bathroom because I've seen it. Is he just not trying?? And if so, how do I make him try?? I'm desperate for even an idea!! I'm completely out of them!

frombong2mom

Asked by frombong2mom at 10:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• only let him wear the pull up while sleeping. Once he is up off comes the pull up. I would also have him be in charge of rinsing out the pee'd pants and sheets. Remember he is only 5 don't scold him just matter of factly have him clean up after himself. You may want to try "running out of pull ups" it may take a day or 2-3 but he may stop needing them.
    cut down on drinks 2 hours before bed time. have him pee every 30 min. 2 hours before bed time (not as a punishment) have his dad "walk" him into the bathroom when he goes to bed he won't even have to wake the boy. Just get him into position. make sure he pees as soon as he wakes up
    get a bathroom toilet routine in place for him it may take a week or two but he will get the idea
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I was going to say everything the first girl said. Have his dad and him use the bathroom together as much as possible.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Sorry but having your child rinse out the sheets just for weeing the bed? That is very wrong and I do not agree with that at all. You are acting like he should be punished for wetting himself and he is 5 years old for god sake! you clean them as it's your job.
    DeansMother

Answer by DeansMother at 10:35 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Are there things going on in his life that maybe this is one thing he can control and he's using it to punish you and his dad? I'd look into some counseling, and maybe have him tested for a UTI. This is NOT normal. I still think this is probably the one and only thing in his life that HE has FULL control of, so he's using it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My girl is five but soon to be six. She will not wet during the day but a night and she has bladder infections. If smells, etc, it could be a sign of bladder or kidney problems and should be checked out if see if that is the problem or not.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would have him checked AGAIN for a urinary tract issue. If there is no medical reason, I would get counseling. Has there been a disturbance in the family recently or is he upset about any issues between his parents? I am not surprised he is not telling anyone about wetting himself, he is probably embarrassed and most likely has no conscious idea why he is doing it himself. I'm sure it is frustrating, but kindness and acceptance will get you further faster than anger and frustration (not trying to be mean, just offering my honest opinion).
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• He recently came to live with us, shortly after we moved. His Mom and Dad get along fine, they don't badmouth each other or fight in front of him. At least not since I've been in the picture. I thought maybe that the move had something to do with it but he's been living with us for four months now and this has just started to be a daily occurance in the last week or so.

I agree MomIWant, that kindness and acceptance will help more than anger and frusteration. I try my best to keep my temper. JustGrape623, I make him put the sheets (and his clothes) in the laundry and pick them up of the floor if he leaves them there.I don't think I could get him to actually wash them. He'd make a mess that would take even longer to clean up. He can't reach the washer anyway. Momindiana, I think that a UTI might be a source. The smell is REALLY bad, like worse than cat pee. At times, I gag when I'm doing his laundry.
    frombong2mom

Comment by frombong2mom (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If a child was doing #1 in the bathroom and all of sundden his doing it in his pants then something must have happen. Why the change, ask the teacher if something is brothering him in school. Please check it out. Maybe theres more to the problem why the change it doesnt make any sense. Please dont take it out on him or blame him it would make it worst. I understand what you are going through. I have a 11 yrs old boy and he has fragile x his delay in many ways and am having problem for him to do #1 in the bathroom he does #2 fine but #1 has been an on going thing. In time he will do what his got to do but for now dont make a big thing out of it or it would worst. From babytiger
    babytiger127

Answer by babytiger127 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with the other moms here that suggest there's more that could be going on w/him like a bladder infection or even maybe kidney issues. Tell your BF to take his son back to the doctor and have the doctor test him for bladder infections as well as kidney issues just to be on the safe side.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would take him to another doctor. Sounds like this one doesn't seem to interested in getting ot the bottom of things, whether it is physical or other.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2010