Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How Do I Make Sure This Never Happens?

One of my fears is if something were to happen to me or my dh wnd we were no longer able to care for our children or died, that my father would get custody. My children are 3 years old (dd) and 20 months old (ds). The reason that I fear this is that my parents divorced when I was 7 and my father kidnapped me from my mother when I was 12. From that day until I turned 18 and moved out, I had to endure all forms of abuse from him. I can't stand the thought of my children going through this. It makes me sick to my stomach. My mother would take them or dh's family or parents would. My father is a very rich and powerful man. He would fight for custody. Not because he wants the childen, but because he would want to look good. How do I prevent him from getting them? Can it be done?

Answer Question

Asked by Bugbait at 10:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 20 (8,332 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Create a will, that specifically states who will get your children in the event of yours and your husbands deaths. Also put in the will, that you specifically do not want your father to have custody.

    Answer by my2.5boys at 10:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • yep, write your will darling. OR, get your children some god parents....

    Answer by samurai_chica at 10:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • Yes, talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • yep, write your will darling. OR, get your children some god parents....
    In this day and age, god parents have no legal standing, it MUST be put in a legal document who you wish your children's legal guardian to be. Include in that document why your father must not ever be given custody in case he contest any document you write establishing who would get custody. I would recommend that you consult a lawyer for this.

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • Legal Zoom does wills for $60, and they are legally binding.

    If you can't afford that, just let EVERYONE know around you that you want your children to go to X person. You don't have to say "Don't let them go to him", but you can say "Make sure they go to my sister/brother/other family member".

    Answer by Ati_13 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • A lawyer will be your only way to get the right info to prevent this.

    Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 11:09 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • you need to get with a lawyer and write up a will for both yourself and your husband stating exactly what you both want to happen to the children in case something happens to both or one of you .....

    Answer by cara124 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • Get an attorney and get a will done...naming custody, beneficaries, etc. Only way to make sure is to get it in writing and filed with the court system.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • If you don't have time to make a will before you pass, God forbid. Make sure you tell plenty of people. Let them know your wishes. Write it down in a journal or do something. Let it be known why you don't want your dad to get them. If enough people can back up what you want, your children will have a better chance.  Hope you stick around for a while.


    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

  • Get a will ASAP

    Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.