constipated?

my son is 6weeks old and is constipated BAD he trys to go so bad but can only get out one lil ball and its so hard it makes his bottom bleed.....is there anything i can do or give him that will help him got number 2 he hasnt went (a full poop) in 2 or 3 days just a lil ball a day .......

Mommmy_To_3

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should probably change his formula. That happened to my son and he needed to get the soy formula. To this day he still needs Lactaid or Soy Milk, because any lactose will stop him up. He also has Miralax as a Rx in case he needs it.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• my first son is the same way.....so guess we are getting soy!! lol
    Mommmy_To_3

Comment by Mommmy_To_3 (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It worked great with my son. Try to find something without Lactose and see if it helps. I'd also talk to the Ped to see if there's anything else you can do. It's only been 3 years since my boy was an infant, but you never know if something new has come out. lol.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Breast milk is a natural laxative. Since you are only 6 weeks post partum, you may still have milk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:52 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't go immediately to soy, try a lactose free formula instead (Gentlease, etc). Even probiotic is the formula helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Agh. supposed to read "even putting probiotic iN the formula helps". My son got a probiotic a day from 3 weeks til he was off formula entirely, around 15 months. Doctor approved & loved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would first think about nursing, if you can (I don't know your situation, and why you are not nursing to begin with, so if it's an option for you, you should explore it). Considering that it IS hard per your description, and given the age of the baby, I would probably speak to the doctor on this. I would NOT consider a remedy like Karo syrup, as that can be dangerous in infants, and I would not consider juice or any solids at this young age. Your doctor MIGHT recommend a small amount of juice, if they do, I would maybe consider it, but would be asking for other ideas first.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Also, forgot to mention...many people who are intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy, so consider that your baby might also be soy intolerant. I know there are formulas out there that are neither dairy nor soy, they might be considered in your case.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would give 1 oz pear juice with 1 oz water now, to help the constipation.... but it sounds like long term he needs a different formula. I would talk to his pediatrician about it though... soy can actually make constipation worse... so you might want to try a lactose free formula first... but if you had the same problem with your other son and soy worked, it might be the way to go.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Water. natie used to get this when she was that young and we gave her like 2 ounces or how ever much she could take of water and it helped :] No too much water as it will make her vomit. So like1 or 2 ounces like i said however much she will take
    NatiesMommy

Answer by NatiesMommy at 2:03 AM on Dec. 27, 2010